How correct is the PSI?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
MockHamill
12 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How correct is the PSI?

Post by MockHamill »

How correct is the PSI typically? What is the average difference between the real tier someone places a movie in and the PSI guess?

iceblox
0 Ratings

Re: How correct is the PSI?

Post by iceblox »

Generally speaking, not very accurate for me (hit & miss, mostly). But then again, I can't predict my own tastes.

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

For me it depends on types of films. PSI usually works for me with Hollywood films and most of the films from 90s & 00s. It doesn't work so well with "classics". For example - I have high PSI for almost every film in tsp1000 collections, but I like only about 60% of them (from what I've seen). And PSIs completely fail for B-movies - I love 70s & 80s crap scifi, exploitation & horrors, but all of them have usually very low PSI.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

edkrak wrote:For me it depends on types of films. PSI usually works for me with Hollywood films and most of the films from 90s & 00s. It doesn't work so well with "classics". For example - I have high PSI for almost every film in tsp1000 collections, but I like only about 60% of them (from what I've seen). And PSIs completely fail for B-movies - I love 70s & 80s crap scifi, exploitation & horrors, but all of them have usually very low PSI.

This is pretty much the case with me as well. I'll watch most anything depending on my mood, but I'm not a commited connoisseur of any particular type of movie. I generally watch whatever I believe will offer the best entertainment potential based on what I know of my tastes. Since I only rate movies based on how much I enjoyed them, and my standards are not everyone else's a lot of the time, I don't place much value on high PSIs for classics or low PSIs for trashier cinema.

MockHamill
12 Ratings

Post by MockHamill »

For me the most important factors when I rate a movie are enjoyment value and rewatchability.

I do not care about artistic value or if it is a classic. For instance, 2001 bored me death so I rated it low. Sky High I found very entertaining so I rated it high. That 2001 may be 100 times better then Sky High from a technical standpoints does not matter to me, I enjoyed Sky Highs cliches immensely and loathed the boring slowless of 2001 (plus the book was much better).

To me it seems that PSI works good for identifying T7-T8 movies, but less good for predicting T10 movies.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

MockHamill wrote:To me it seems that PSI works good for identifying T7-T8 movies, but less good for predicting T10 movies.

Same for me.

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

PSIs are very very accurate for me.
I found a number of films which later I ranked highly like "Kanal", "Forbidden Games" or "Seppuku".

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

Lately I have been noticing that around 70% of the time, the PSI is only 1 point off the score I actually give. Sometimes it is much further off but in general I have been extremely impressed, nay, amazed, by the accuracy of my PSIs.

It could also be because my scores are too bunched up around the 74-82 range. At some point I might try to export all my scores, apply some form of normalisation to them, and use that as a basis for all my future scoring. Scary stuff.

biblioklept
0 Ratings

Post by biblioklept »

PSIs not very accurate because many films don't have enough rankings, thus the score ends up coming from something like 3 2.xxs which is bound to be inaccurate. Still indebted to this site for helping me find films though - through sifting through the top films of those with the closest TCIs with me.