Criticker for other forms of media

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
AlexDourm
170 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker for other forms of media

Post by AlexDourm »

Team Criticker,
Have you considered expanding into books, comics, video games, music etc? Applying the rec engine to other forms of media should be relatively straightforward. More importantly, I am not aware of other sites with this functionality. There are sites for ranking such things but a rec engine would be killer.

Proximity
0 Ratings

Re: Criticker for other forms of media

Post by Proximity »

Not a bad idea at all. Each member's page would have tabs for different mediums, with cinema taking the center stage.

This would also help us rate miniseries in a separate category (TV) from films.
Last edited by Proximity on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I agree. That way faithful movie reviewers can ignore the different tabs for mediums they have no interest in. A true recommendation site for books, television etc. would be a huge step above what's out there now.

Proximity
0 Ratings

Post by Proximity »

hellboy76 wrote:I agree. That way faithful movie reviewers can ignore the different tabs for mediums they have no interest in. A true recommendation site for books, television etc. would be a huge step above what's out there now.

Yep! Criticker's always suffered from a lack of activity. Opening the doors for other mediums would surely boost exposure.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Proximity wrote:
hellboy76 wrote:I agree. That way faithful movie reviewers can ignore the different tabs for mediums they have no interest in. A true recommendation site for books, television etc. would be a huge step above what's out there now.

Yep! Criticker's always suffered from a lack of activity. Opening the doors for other mediums would surely boost exposure.

And if Music, TV, Books, Video Games (or whatever else they want to get into) recommendations work half as well as movies, its better than about anything else out there already. :D

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

i honestly think the reason criticker doesn't get more activity is because of the interface. now i don't know if changing the look of the site to appease to whatever fashion trend is a good thing or not, but it would probably have more chance of increasing traffic than most other things.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

lisagirl wrote:i honestly think the reason criticker doesn't get more activity is because of the interface. now i don't know if changing the look of the site to appease to whatever fashion trend is a good thing or not, but it would probably have more chance of increasing traffic than most other things.

Good point. There's also a sort of high barrier to entry. The forums are constantly getting complaints from new users about how the recommendation engine is terrible, and those users generally have less than 200 rankings. I'm not familiar with the imdb import function, but I know I spent a lot of time ranking movies from the "rank more films" page before I thought the recommendations were decent. I use this site more as a catalog of my own thoughts than a recommendation engine, so that didn't dissuade me.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

mattorama12 wrote:
lisagirl wrote:i honestly think the reason criticker doesn't get more activity is because of the interface. now i don't know if changing the look of the site to appease to whatever fashion trend is a good thing or not, but it would probably have more chance of increasing traffic than most other things.

Good point. There's also a sort of high barrier to entry. The forums are constantly getting complaints from new users about how the recommendation engine is terrible, and those users generally have less than 200 rankings. I'm not familiar with the imdb import function, but I know I spent a lot of time ranking movies from the "rank more films" page before I thought the recommendations were decent. I use this site more as a catalog of my own thoughts than a recommendation engine, so that didn't dissuade me.

I kind of like that both these issues keep out teenies with no real interest in film. I may just be old. GET OFF MY LAWN!

VorpalKitten
0 Ratings

Post by VorpalKitten »

I really wish this was a thing, because Criticker is awesome and there doesn't seem to be anything comparable for tv or books. (goodreads is 'meh' for instance)