Probable score: 100 !

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
oplars
28 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Probable score: 100 !

Post by oplars »

I was searching for a tv show to watch, and was surprised to find one that cricticker was guessing I would give a score at 100!
First of all, I wonder how it came to 100, as none of the people who have rated it, gave it such a high score.
But anyhow, since I have never been presented to a movie/show with such an ultimate probable score, I got hold on the first episode (the tv show was "The Good Wife"). Because of the rating, I really gave it a chance, although It didnt appeal to me at any point. Half way through, I dropped it. I can see that it is has a certain quality, but not the kind of qualities that capture me, at the contrary. I gave it a rank of....I think 50 or so (I would not go lower, as who knows if I would begin to like is if I forced myself to see a couple of episodes)
Wouldnt you expect something really special If you found something with higest possible probable score?

oplars
28 Ratings

Re: Probable score: 100 !

Post by oplars »

So I was still looking for a great tv show, and tried The Wire, which had a probable score at 98.
I could say excactly the the same as I did in my former post! Although I found this one even worse - afterward I gave it a rank of only 40...Sorry, all of you who enjoy that show, objectively its not bad, I can see that, but It is so far, far away from my taste, so how can this come up as 98? I asure you that I would find a randomly chosen movie more interesting than these to latest topscores, that I checked out.
Even though my experience until now is that this just doesnt work, I keep hanging on, as I really enjoy the idea! It should work! It most work! My experience is that if I talk to ONE person and he list a lot of movies that I like, and he suggest a movie, I usually can trust that its probably at least ok. So Criticker should logically be able to do much, much better than that and help me find movies that I feel extatic about. But it suggests movies that I dont even care to watch! It doesnt make sense. From a scientific point of view it should work! (as you can see I have made 395 rankings).

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I can't really defend Criticker here. (The Good Wife doesn't have enough ratings to produce meaningful results. It will be similar with other shows).

It's difficult to come up with recommendations. Perhaps try these dramas:

Lilyhammer
Silicon Valley
Justified

There's plenty of period/historical(/fantasy) drama/action/adventure if you want more of that. Spartacus/Peaky Blinders/Da Vinci's Demons

This Huff article proffers that ilk.

The thing is, a lot of cheerfully mainstream shows right now are substantially better than they need to be; in the action-adventure realm alone, we've got "Vikings," "Covert Affairs," "Strike Back," "Banshee" and "Arrow," among others.

The one exception to this bewildering reign of error was "Spartacus," which completely understood how to be a saucy, fun mainstream entertainment with a smart and subversive subtext.

Whether they're period dramas, like "Magic City," "The White Queen," "Camelot," "DaVinci's Demons" and "Pillars of the Earth," or contemporary dramas like "Torchwood: Miracle Day" and "Boss,"

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

The Wire really takes a long time to appreciate. I thought it was crap in the beginning as well, but pushed through because I knew it had to (at the time) be regarded as the best TV show ever made for a reason. If you got to and finished episode 10 of season 1 and didn't like it, then you can dismiss it with at least a bit of legitimacy.

Also TV rankings are new and many don't have too many rankings. You are simply the first to get a high recommendation and watch it based on that recommendation, rather than finding it through all sorts of self-selective processes. This normally leads to the score being adjusted downward such that subsequent users no longer get that recommendation (or if it does turn out to be good will get a recommendation as well).

thehynes
0 Ratings

Post by thehynes »

I think a lot of TV Series are going to have extremely over inflated PSI's for people for quite a long time. People have added them to the database who love them, then others who are fans have rated it. People who saw it and never gave it another thought are unlikely to have hunted it down to give it a score. My first page of PSI's currently has a lot of tv shows and I'm pretty sure that the majority of them wont get scored by me anywhere near the prediction - although there are some very good ones on there that I havent rated yet as since I've joined Criticker I've had a rule that I only rate stuff I've just watched (which I confess I've marred recently with a few TV series that I can remember well but suspect it'd be years, if ever, before I will watch again).
Just checked and 8 of my current top 10 PSI's are TV series - I'm pretty sure most of them wont have me raving about them to friends. If I live forever though I might just get through everything

Nilbog
7 Ratings

Post by Nilbog »

it's very rare for my psi of a movie to be 90 or higher, but many of my psis foor tv shows are very high, because so few people have ranked them

oplars
28 Ratings

Post by oplars »

Thanks for your replies! Reason why I respond so late, is because I dont get any nofification about new posts. Dont know why, as I have looked in the settings and according to what is marked I should get notifications.
Anyhow, It was nice of you, Paulino, to come with some suggestions. You are right, that I would like more period/historical(/fantasy) drama/action/adventure movies (are you clairvoyant or did you look at my list of movies ;). (Not so much into action though, although I have had a period with fascination of Vikings (one of your suggestions) and pirats (Black sail) and middle age, so the one you mention, Pillars of the Earth, looked interesting and I have started to see it, and I enjoy seeing it. Thank you!! :-) (Maybe I should check out your list of movies some day.....)

And thanks for the explanations of why a show can give a prob.score 100. I understand it , and at the same time I don´t, because why isnt it build in to the algorithms (or whatever its called) that if a very small amount of people have seen a show, then there should be a question mark instead of a digit (or a digit followed by a question mark).

It reminds me of weather reports, the diagrams where they always show either a bright sun, clowdy or rain, and if they dont mark how reliable the forecast is, and you believe it to be true, you end up on a picnick in the rain (because they actually didnt know, but they have to predict something).

Are there any way to calculate the reliability of a high prob.score on a movie?

I really miss Jinni, as I found many movies through it, that i probably would have missed if not for Jinni. (Although I didnt like the fanciness and that the people behind it obviously had their mind on some other project, and then suddenly just shut down the site) I often check to see if somebody else will take over where they left, and make a site that compares with it or even better.

Jazzaloha
0 Ratings

Post by Jazzaloha »

oplars wrote:So I was still looking for a great tv show, and tried The Wire, which had a probable score at 98.
I could say excactly the the same as I did in my former post! Although I found this one even worse - afterward I gave it a rank of only 40...Sorry, all of you who enjoy that show, objectively its not bad, I can see that, but It is so far, far away from my taste, so how can this come up as 98? I asure you that I would find a randomly chosen movie more interesting than these to latest topscores, that I checked out.
Even though my experience until now is that this just doesnt work, I keep hanging on, as I really enjoy the idea! It should work! It most work! My experience is that if I talk to ONE person and he list a lot of movies that I like, and he suggest a movie, I usually can trust that its probably at least ok. So Criticker should logically be able to do much, much better than that and help me find movies that I feel extatic about. But it suggests movies that I dont even care to watch! It doesnt make sense. From a scientific point of view it should work! (as you can see I have made 395 rankings).

Just to a few comments for what it's worth:

1. Did you watch the entire series (or at least an entire season of those TV shows)? I wasn't really sure if you did, but I ask because it can take a while before a show gets really good. I've had experiences where I only started liking the show after several episodes. With The Wire, while I liked the first season, I felt OK giving up on it. But I stuck with it, and by the 3rd and 4th seasons, I thought this might be one of the best TV shows I've seen.

2. If you've only ranked 395 films, maybe the recommendations won't be as good. Then again, I've rated over 2,000, and what I'm finding is that I rarely get a film ranked over the 70s. Moreover, these films in the 70s could be really good, OK or even not-so-good. In other words, what criticker predicts isn't so reliable--which is a disappointment, because, like you, I thought the overall concept was really appealing.

3. I think a better way of getting recommendations might be to find people on the site with similar tastes and just ask them for recommendations. Just a thought.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Yeah, I spent some time on you. Your ratings feel like home (my brother's into vikings. My dad's into Pirates. My mum likes Woody Allen movies. And I like Mike Leigh).

^That's a screenshot of the (my) PSI summary for The Good Wife. At this stage the PSI is basically nonsense. 3 wildly different scores, the user Blair is my 712th closest TCI (there are 711 users who would be more ideal to predict taste for me, to put too fine a point on it). Whereas an established film's PSI would be drawn from 10 users, often within my top 50 TCIs.

I agree with your frustration, and think it would be better if we could edit how many, and which, users contribute to psi. So instead of 'At least 3 of your top 1000 users need to have seen the film, before a PSI can be generated.' - You could make it At least 5 of your top 200. . . (or whatever). I quite like how it's set now, but perhaps it shouldn't be the default. (Sorry if non of this makes sense).

I really miss Jinni, as I found many movies through it, that i probably would have missed if not for Jinni. (Although I didnt like the fanciness and that the people behind it obviously had their mind on some other project, and then suddenly just shut down the site) I often check to see if somebody else will take over where they left, and make a site that compares with it or even better.

I didn't know Jinni had gone. I can see why it would work for you. I can see trends in your taste more often than canon. But that's films - I haven't seen the TV shows you've seen. Maybe Freaks and Geeks (TV) - It's comedy/drama with bits of romance. Moodysson's Together (Caution: Swedish). Sideways. Mackenzie Crook's Detectorists (TV). C.R.A.Z.Y. (2005). John Hughes movies maybe. Perhaps British kitchen sinkery, but tends not to be funny (Ken Loach, Shane Meadows, etc,).

oplars
28 Ratings

Post by oplars »

Hi Jazzaolha,
1. No, I only watched one episode of each show. I KNOW that I cannot make final judgements from this, but you know, life is short. As I said, I could see that both of them were good shows (good actors, intelligent etc.) and maybe I would like them after a season or two, but that would mean many hours of "work". There is so many shows that I have enjoyed right from the start.
2. Disappointing that it is not more reliable even with 2000 ratings, but at least you dont get bad movies in the 70s.
3. Yes, sort of back to nature. But then again: similar tastes would mean that they are top TCIs. And the movies they would recommend me, would of course be among those they love the most, and which they can see would fit into MY highest rated movies. Which is exactly what Criticker is constructed to do. And much better than this, as it should eliminate the bias that would come from only one users suggestion, as it gives suggestion based on hundreds of users.... and I am back wondering how comes the predictions are not more reliable.....