list of benefits for mini-review writers

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
livelove
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

list of benefits for mini-review writers

Post by livelove »

related discussion: How often do you write Mini-Reviews?

mpowell wrote:yeah, the mini-reviews are one of the most interesting parts of Criticker, and you're right that we should be doing more to highlight them.
As the site owners agree with, mini-reviews are one of the best parts of Criticker.
They clearly are of enormous value to the readers of the mini-reviews.

But what about the advantages of writing mini-reviews for the writers themselves ?
I'm sure there are some, yet they seem to be less obvious.
Can we, together, in this thread, make a list of benefits for writers of mini-reviews ?

I'll add them here:
(You can click on the numbers to jump to the posting. List items without link are my own additions.)
  • (1) reminder function:
    (a) helps to recall what movie it is
    (b) helps to recall what I originally thought about a movie and why I scored it the way I did

(2) writing down my thoughts compels me to clarify them, which helps in accurately scoring the movie

(3) self-affirmation and self-verification (feels good when someone stars something you're proud of)

(4) expressive outlet (when a film puts me in a weird ecstatic frenzy)

(5) experiencing the feeling of sharing something with(in) a community

(6) creative challenge

(7) self-examination + self-reflection: "when reading (own) older reviews: a reminder not to take myself too seriously"

(8) helps understand others: "easier to appreciate other peoples' efforts when you've had a go yourself"

(9) It's like a diary entry. Not for a day but for a film. I like diaries.
Last edited by livelove on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 14 times in total.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Re: list of benefits for writers of mini-reviews

Post by paulofilmo »

are you after these sorts of subjective things? i might be misreading you

when reading (own) older reviews: a reminder not to take myself too seriously
    feels good when someone stars something you're proud of
    can set little creative challenges that i wouldn't otherwise bother with*
    expressive outlet when a film puts me in a weird ecstatic frenzy
    easier to appreciate other peoples' efforts when you've had a go yourself
    sharing/community. sort of. loosely.

*pithy; long; visual; 'awkward film summary'; surreal; one-word; retire a gif, etc. etc.

livelove
0 Ratings

benefits for writers of mini-reviews

Post by livelove »

hello paulofilmo. Thank you for your contributions. Yes, ANY examples are legitimate and very welcome.

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

The only reason I personally write mini-reviews is so I can better recall in the future what I originally thought about a movie and why I scored it the way I did. Before I did this, I found I could look back at a ranking I had given years previously and have little memory of why I scored it the way I did.

I do also get some of the benefits mentioned by paulofilmo, but they are secondary and I wouldn't bother writing mini reviews if it wasn't for that primary reason.

SinnerMa
0 Ratings

Post by SinnerMa »

For me, I pretty much ignore the ratings given without a review. I may be wrong (usually am) but I feel someone who has gone to the trouble of writing a review has also, even if subconsciously, given some thought to the rating entered not just input a figure "on the fly" so to speak.

Reviews also give me a snapshot of the product and help me in deciding it it's "for me". I especially appreciate mini reviews on non mainstream product

The reverse of the above is why I do minireviews....and, yep, getting a star is a little buzz :lol:

So, thanks to all the Criticker mini reviewers for their collective assistance.

BillyShears
1938 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

I flash my stars when I go out to eat and get asked to leave quietly.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@BillyShears: Sorry, what does that mean?

@SinnerMa: You list advantages for the readers. What benefits do you see for the writers (aside from "getting a buzz" which is already in the list) ?

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

ribcage @ www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5506#p52382 wrote:I do have a fairly bad memory, and my main reason for mini reviews is simply to put to writing enough words to hold a movie in my memory.