30 for 30

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
iconogassed
29 Ratings
Your TCI: na

30 for 30

Post by iconogassed »

I think there needs to be greater consistency in the categorization of ESPN's 30 for 30 series.

Collecton: ESPN 30 for 30 docs

Currently, there are at least four different release types for the titles:

TV episode: 24
Film: 16
TV movie: 2
Short: 1 * (this is the Maysles' Muhammad and Larry, the original version of which is from the 80s and the 30f30 cut is a different thing and it's all a little confusing so I would hold off on changing this until everything else is set)

Some points to consider:

- A number of entries, like Steve James' No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson and Brett Morgen's June 17, 1994 have taken on significant life outside the show and been screened widely.

- I think it's obvious that these are more deserving of being categorized as "TV movies" (as opposed to "TV episodes") than, say, Columbo or Black Mirror.

- There have been various chronological collections released on DVD/streaming, but there really is no "season" organization. The closest comparison is the long-running HBO documentary series America Undercover, "episodes" of which aired whenever and are all here on their own as TV movies.
Last edited by iconogassed on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Re: 30 for 30

Post by JonSmith »

It's an issue with other series as well to be fair. The only solution I've seen posted on similar posts is to send an email to one of the admins allowing for leniency regarding a specific series (some series aren't separated on imdb and episodes aren't allowed by default on Criticker). For other shows, it also goes back to the issue of imdb errors, since I've seen some errors on there that end up on here as well. Ultimately, I can understand why the admins don't want to separate themselves from imdb though. It's just one of those issues where I disagree I guess, which is fine.

I honestly don't know how one would fix it without adding some sort of power users, which creates even more problems...

P.S. Is admin the right word for Mike and co (I'm not even sure if there's other people)?

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

That's not really what I'm talking about. I have the ability to do it myself and am happy to, just looking for community/admin input on this particular situation rather than making a unilateral decision.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Oh, I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I'm probably tired. Sorry about that.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

You're good. I wasn't really specific.

If no one chimes in, I will be forced to decide by painting numbers corresponding to the possible options on the backs of snails and then racing them on a greased-up saucepan.