Writing credits

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
howler19
249 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Writing credits

Post by howler19 »

I have noticed that screenwriting/writing credits are handled very inconsistently on Criticker. This is not surprising considering that the site doesn't seem to state how it should be done anywhere. And it certainly doesn't help that the site in some instances uses the very specific term 'screenwriter' and in others it uses the much broader term 'writer', So my question is, who should be credited as a screenwriter/writer? Is it supposed to be the person(s) who wrote the film (screenwriter)? Or should novelists, playwrights etc. whose work the screenplay is based on also be included?

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: Writing credits

Post by mpowell »

That's a good point about the term "writer" vs "screenwriter"

We've been using the same rule we use for many of these questions -- default to IMDB's rules. They include novelists and people who wrote the works from which films are adapted, so we've been including them too. Basically, if the writer is found in the cast list for IMDB, we'll allow them.

It's a good call-out, though, to change "Screenwriter" to "writer", and also possibly introduce the possibility of noting which "type" of writer. We'll add that to our list of future enhancements!

howler19
249 Ratings

Re: Writing credits

Post by howler19 »

Thanks for the reply. In my opinion restricting it to screenwriters would have made more sense, but I completely understand that it's a lot easier take this route.