Everything Everywhere all at once

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
69ingPigs
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Everything Everywhere all at once

Post by 69ingPigs »

discuss :mrgreen:

Neonman
0 Ratings

Re: Everything Everywhere all at once

Post by Neonman »

It can't help but be overrated. I'm sick to death of multiverse shit, which just means anything can happen just 'cause. There's little to no groundedness in films like these.
But this film does it in a fairly emotionally satisfying way. Some jokes were cringey, but others I thought were so audacious, that worked well. Probably not a movie I wanna watch again.

Velvet Crowe
1139 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

Neonman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:27 pm
It can't help but be overrated. I'm sick to death of multiverse shit, which just means anything can happen just 'cause. There's little to no groundedness in films like these.
But this film does it in a fairly emotionally satisfying way. Some jokes were cringey, but others I thought were so audacious, that worked well. Probably not a movie I wanna watch again.
I honestly do not get this argument at all because multiverse storytelling for cape comics has been a thing as far back as the 60's and there have been countless stories outside that genre that have used this as a narrative device even dating before superheroes. Even within the cape genre there are stories that dealt with it in creative ways such as Exiles, Old Man Logan, and Crisis on Infinite Earths. Star Trek, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, and The Dark Tower are other notable examples. If you somehow are "sick of it" now then I think it's safe to assume you haven't invested much in the genres that often employ them. It's been a popular trope for almost a century.

I also don't get this criticism either. Like... no shit it's not "grounded" but is that supposed to be a bad thing? These are stories about fantastical, larger than life events. Why should it be grounded? Not to mention it's often losing the thematic purpose these stories have. The idea that "anything can happen just 'cause" is a baffling criticism because you can describe literally any plot device or narrative logic in this way. Plenty of multiverse stories have pretty clear rules. They're not arbitrary for the sake of being arbitrary.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

I don't understand the point of this thread. If you're interested in what people thought about the movie why not just check out the movie's review section?

Velvet Crowe
1139 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

VinegarBob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:17 pm
I don't understand the point of this thread. If you're interested in what people thought about the movie why not just check out the movie's review section?
You can post and say a lot more on a forum post. Alternatively, you can't directly respond to people's reviews. OP just said "discuss", sooooo...?