Best Movie Soundtracks

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Best Movie Soundtracks

Post by Stewball »

I think music is a greatly underused dimension of the movies, particularly given the outright terror many people seem to have of the "M" word. Of course musicals aren't the only time a movie can have a vital soundtrack. Many work much of the music into actual performances within the story, while others, like Chicago, flash between real life and a music/dance expansion on it.

So since a couple of the reasons people come to movie forums, especially this one, is find more movies that might have fallen through the cracks (metaphorically speaking 8-) ), or to help "de-crack" some personal favorites that you'd like to advocate, please rave on. These are a few :shock: of mine, no particular order or number, just as I think of them:

Chicago................................Streets of Fire...........................Black Snake Moan
Gladiator...............................Fiddler on the Roof.....................Jesus Christ Superstar
Phantom of the Opera................Crossroads (1987).......................Little Shop of Horrors
2001.....................................A Clockwork Orange....................The Music Man
School of Rock.........................Across the Universe.....................Bandits
Evita....................................Fantasia...................................A Soldier's Story
West Side Story.......................Moulin Rouge.............................Once Upon a Time in Mexico
The Departed..........................Ray........................................Glory
Happy Feet.............................The Mask.................................I'm Not There
Moonstruck.............................Footloose.................................O Brother Where Art Thou
Excalibur................................Gangs of New York

Edit to add:
All That Jazz..................Blues Brothers
Last edited by Stewball on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prowler
10 Ratings

Re: Best Movie Soundtracks

Post by prowler »

some that come to mind right now:

taxi driver, apocalypse now, good&bad&ugly, 12 angry men, assassination of j.j., psycho ...

i love film music, especially when it manages to enrichen the film but can also stand up on its own. i wish i could make good film music, seems like one of the best jobs to have in the world :)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

The Clint Mansell/Darren Aronofsky ones.

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

yep mansell is very good, my fave would be the fountain

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

There's already a thread on this, I think. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=729

I thought I created another thread on the best film scores though, but evidently not as it seems. In the future please use the search option before posting. Thanks. :D

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Well, my favorite soundtracks (both original or not) are:

Trainspotting
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill vol. 1 & 2
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Reservoir Dogs
Apocalypse Now
24 Hour Party People
When the Wind Blows

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

HorrorMaster wrote:There's already a thread on this, I think. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=729

I thought I created another thread on the best film scores though, but evidently not as it seems. In the future please use the search option before posting. Thanks. :D

I tried, guess I didn't use the right search words. You wanna move this there?

KGB wrote:Well, my favorite soundtracks (both original or not) are:

Trainspotting
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill vol. 1 & 2
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Reservoir Dogs
Apocalypse Now
24 Hour Party People
When the Wind Blows

Yes to all of those for me as well except for the last two which I haven't seen. (Reservoir Dogs not one of my favorite films but moves up a couple of notches with the great sound track.) And I like original stuff of course, but for me the most important thing is how it accentuates and/or jacks up the movie. Thanks for the leads.

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

Ahh, the last two. '24 Hour Party People' is more or less a mock monography of the Madchester scene, Factory Records and The Hacienda Club in particular. Can't put it in another words. If you like Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses etc. than this soundtrack (and this film, of course) is for you.
As for 'When The Wind Blows', that's just something else completely. 'When The Wind Blows' is a seemingly innocent animated film that turns into a haunting nightmare with a sinister twist about an elderly couple during a nuclear holocaust. It's truly breathtaking, engaging and depressing, but the majestic soundtrack by David Bowie, Genesis and mostly Roger Waters takes it to a whole new level.

While '24 Hour Party People' is a bit of a drag despite the fascinating source material, it's soundtrack is still nothing short than awesome, and the film has some great moments after all. 'When the Wind Blows' is a majestic film and a majestic soundtrack, together and apart. I recommend you both.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Stewball wrote:I tried, guess I didn't use the right search words. You wanna move this there?

Actually it isn't your fault, I just tried to search for the thread using a variety of keywords and it seems to have just disappeared of the forums. Never mind, I'm perfectly happy to post it again. :]

My favourite soundtracks:

Suspiria(dir: Dario Argento) ~ composed and performed by Goblin
Psycho(dir: Alfred Hitchcock) ~ composed by Bernard Hermann
Kill Bill(dir: Quentin Tarantino) ~ various
The Lion King(dir: Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff) ~ composed by Tim Rice and Elton John
Cannibal Holocaust(dir: Ruggero Deodato) ~ composed by Riz Ortolani
Tenebre(dir: Dario Argento) ~ composed and performed by Goblin
Profondo Rosso” ("Deep Red") (dir: Dario Argento) ~ composed and performed by Goblin
Mulholland Drive(dir: David Lynch) ~ various
Charlie's Angels(dir: McG) ~ various
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage(dir: Dario Argento) ~ unknown

God bless Goblin.