Iron Man (2008) vs. Star Trek (2009)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Iron Man (2008) vs. Star Trek (2009)

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Which one is better? This might sound like a random matchup, but I had them right next to each other in my rankings and now I can't decide which one is better.
I was shocked at how good this was especially because I thought they couldn't just keep making good comic book movie after good comic book movie.
I loved the seperate timeline concept from this one, and I think it deserves sci-fi of the year over Avatar big time.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Iron Man (2008) vs. Star Trek (2009)

Post by ShogunRua »

Star Trek was fucking garbage with its cliche, generic, boring action scenes, and complete lack of anything resembling common sense, from everything that happens on the ice planet, to the central motive for the villain. (Why wouldn't he go back in time to save his family and planet, instead of some random third guy who tried to, but narrowly failed at saving his world?)

Meanwhile, Iron Man had a very funny, charming Robert Downey Jr. as the lead to go with some slightly better albeit still generic CGI action scenes. It was okay.

So yeah, Iron Man by a huge margin.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I saw Star Trek right when it came out, and now that i think of it i do think the villain was awful. The ice planet was weird with all the brightly colored hellish creatures, sure, but I still think the movie was decent overall. It had an interesting plot; however, it was predictable towards the end.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

aross2013 wrote: It had an interesting plot; however, it was predictable towards the end.

You mean the same plot they've used for most of the Star Trek films ever since Wrath of Kahn? The one where some evil baddie from Kirk/Picard/Spock's past or alternate self has a personal vendetta against them, and kills many innocents in the process?

Don't even get me started on the whole Spock/give in to your emotions/love subplot. My friends and I literally laughed in the theater at his speech with the black girl (Uehara or whatever her name was). When a thirty minute television show from the 60s handled this with far more detail, less eye-rolling cliche, and greater interest than a film 35 years later, there's a huge problem.

Really, the film is such a trainwreck, I could go on and on with everything wrong with it. (It's worse than all the prequel Star Wars films except for Revenge of the Sith)

The only scene I liked was the one where the kid Kirk rides a motorcycle away from the cops. His punchline was funny.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Iron Man, Star Trek was a generic throwaway.

DavidC
0 Ratings

Post by DavidC »

Star Trek if only on the strength of the opening scene. More emotion there than in the rest of both movies combined.

For the record I enjoy both immensely.

tef
0 Ratings

Post by tef »

Iron Man, I think. Star Trek lost a lot of the charm of the original series.

SirStuckey
45 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

Hard to say. I honestly walked out of the theater wishing I could buy a ticket to watch a sequel immediately for both.

Star Trek just edges it out for me, but that might be because it is fresher in my mind.

Derrick
0 Ratings

Post by Derrick »

I'd have to give IRON MAN the edge because nobody expected it to be such a great movie. Everybody loves Robert Downey, Jr. now but the reaction when it was first announced that he was playing Tony Stark/Iron Man was similar to the firestorm when Michael Keaton was announced as playing Batman way back in 1989. And Jon Favreau had never before directed such a big budget, CGI/SFX heavy movie before. Along with the writers and the rest of the cast they blew everybody away.

On the other hand, J.J. Abrams was expected to turn STAR TREK around and revitalize the franchise. Which he did fantastically. STAR TREK had some faults, yes. A poor villain and the same gimmick that at least four other TREK movies have used: a huge galactic thingie heading straight for earth to destroy it and The Enterprise is the only ship available to stop it. And if you took coincidence out of this movie then you wouldn't even have a movie. Despite all that, I loved the new STAR TREK.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Even for the inexperience of John Favreu on CGI based super hero movie, he managed to do something interesting to watch and above all, he managed to make the scenes very realistic, I mean not your usual CGI, with some dirt, ability to destruct and great animation techniques. In other hand, Star Trek was not really a disappointment for me, I knew J.J. Abrahams is a good action director. He's good with CGI. He knows how to make a scene visually stunning. But also he is not a great story-teller. He just trusts his talents on visualization.

I also would like to talk about the villain characters in both movies. I think we all can agree on how Star Trek's villain was an awful cliche. He had some stupid make up that made him looked like he was mentally challenged. His lines were awfully played, though they also were not written successfully. On the other hand, Iron Man has a true villain with his destructive abilities, grudge, power and threatening size. I really loved how he lifted a car while there was still a family in it. That was creative. And the movie constantly had those powerful and creative scenes in it.

So in my opinion Iron Man is better, by far.