Iron Man (2008) vs. Star Trek (2009)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
djross
10 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Iron Man (2008) vs. Star Trek (2009)

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Star Trek 86 - T9
Iron Man 75 - T4

Star Trek the clear winner.

Iron Man was very meh, though still entertaining.
It's hard to compete with the comic book movies, since recently there have been so many (xmen, spidermen, etc.).
Some have been awful(fantastic 4) while others terrific(xmen), but the CGI is all around great.

Star Trek is a bit more unique, and i compare it to remakes such as Planet of the Apes.
I think, for a remake, this was great.
I was never into the original Star Treks, but they do have great story lines with amazing depths that have not been revisited in years. Now with the CGI technology to support the story , it's a great choice for a remake.

Star Trek had the ability to introduce something that has not been touched in a while to a new audience.

Iron man only had the ability to compete with many better comic book classics.

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

It seems so weird now that an actual comparison had been made and some people even preferred Star Trek.

After 10 years, it's very safe to say that Iron Man was a great film that started a modern pop culture phenomenon which is the MCU. Star Trek is remembered for only one thing: Of all the planets how did Spock chose the one with the exiled Old Spock? That's a phantom menace level coincidence. Also Scotty is there too.

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

Iron Man (88)
Star Trek (80)

I don't think Iron Man was heaps better by any means. Iron Man was a solid introduction to a series that had very high hopes for more at the time and it worked out exactly how it should have. RDJ had undeniable charm and charisma from day one as Tony Stark/Iron Man and it never felt forced.

The Star Trek reboot felt a little forced in nature with dramatic castings to be ground breaking and Pine sort of attempting to oversell us on this new version of Kirk.

Both series gained their footing rather well and spawned two really intriguing series (excited about the possibility of Star Trek bringing in Tarantino possibly) and obviously I have been a fan of where Marvel has mostly taken the MCU over the years and that was thanks in large part to RDJ doing the ground work way back in 2008 (mostly joking about the way back part). It has come so far since then.

Iron Man won back then and I think wins even more now for how far we have come with the character since. Sorry Star Trek the MCU has just been more of a thrill ride for me during my transformative years from teenager to adult.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

Star Trek - 90 (T10)
Iron Man - 68 (T8)

Given the bar set by Star Trek Nemesis, Star Trek (2009) was a refreshing change of pace and a good action film in its own right. I’m not a fan of what JJ has done to Star Wars, but I really enjoyed his take on Star Trek. The plot isn’t actually that complex, there are no unresolved mystery boxes, and I liked the updates on the classic characters without having to retcon them. For what it’s worth, I didn’t enjoy Into Darkness as much, but really liked Beyond. Honestly, the new trilogy didn’t leave a massive impact, just some pretty enjoyable films; Star Trek earned its legacy through the TV shows.

Iron Man undoubtedly started the biggest cultural phenomenon of the decade (and hence has a legacy of sorts) but it was never a particularly good film to me. RDJ did a great job, but the I never liked the capitalist-glorifying character that just acts on his own whims. It was ultimately a film made by an American institution, chastising American institutions for exerting their power overseas. The ultimate face-off was two guys is metal suits blasting each other with lasers over power and money, and even by 2008 standards was a tired trope.

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

amazedemon wrote:RDJ did a great job, but the I never liked the capitalist-glorifying character that just acts on his own whims. It was ultimately a film made by an American institution, chastising American institutions for exerting their power overseas. The ultimate face-off was two guys is metal suits blasting each other with lasers over power and money, and even by 2008 standards was a tired trope.

Stark was fighting against his own creations like his weopons, his company. Also his friend and terrorists funded by his friend.

I never thought Iron Man was about American intervention overseas. It's pretty biased and unfair reading of this film. He was redeeming himself and it was not easy. He was not fighting for power or money as he already had those. He wanted a clean break and chose a different path. Obadiah was fighting for power and money, Tony stopped him and he does not deserve this criticism.

wgwolford
16 Ratings

Post by wgwolford »

I'm a huge Marvel fan--I learned to read with comics books, and Iron Man is my 2nd favorite hero--and not a Star Trek fan. Like at all.

I think a lot of never getting into Star Trek came from my younger self perceiving Star Trek fans as a little... too much. Plus, it seemed like it could get heavy handed, and as a kid and teenager, I just wasn't that interested in the series. As I've gotten older, I have learned to understand that heavy-handedness can be done well, and all fandoms have people in them that look bad, but still never could get into any of the Star Trek series.

I do think Iron Man is better, but not significantly so. If I wasn't a fan of either franchise, I think I could see myself going either way on which one is better. I just already have that emotional attachment to Iron Man.

I will say that Iron Man is likely to be remembered as being much better. because it was the beginning of the cultural phenomenon that is the MCU. It brought a lot of dreams to life on the big screen in a way that I think a lot of fans never expected to see, or see done that well, and that started this unstoppable machine.

I think Star Trek will be the type of movie that is on a lot of "underrated gems" types of lists in a decade or two. It seems that a lot of the Star Trek purists don't love it, and, again, coming out around the time of the big superhero boom will definitely hurt its chances of being remembered in the future for how good it actually is.

dadi007
Ratings

Post by dadi007 »

wgwolford wrote:I'm a huge Marvel fan--I learned to read with comics books, and Iron Man is my 2nd favorite hero--and not a Star Trek fan. Like at all.

I think a lot of never getting into Star Trek came from my younger self perceiving Star Trek fans as a little... too much. Plus, it seemed like it could get heavy handed, and as a kid and teenager, I just wasn't that interested in the series. As I've gotten older, I have learned to understand that heavy-handedness can be done well, and all fandoms have people in them that look bad, but still never could get into any of the Star Trek series.

I do think Iron Man is better, but not significantly so. If I wasn't a fan of either franchise, I think I could see myself going either way on which one is better. I just already have that emotional attachment to Iron Man.

I will say that Iron Man is likely to be remembered as being much better. because it was the beginning of the cultural phenomenon that is the MCU. It brought a lot of dreams to life on the big screen in a way that I think a lot of fans never expected to see, or see done that well, and that started this unstoppable machine.

I think Star Trek will be the type of movie that is on a lot of "underrated gems" types of lists in a decade or two. It seems that a lot of the Star Trek purists don't love it, and, again, coming out around the time of the big superhero boom will definitely hurt its chances of being remembered in the future for how good it actually is.

So yeah, Iron Man by a huge margin.