UK TV Film Recommendations

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
paulofilmo
5 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: UK TV Film Recommendations

Post by paulofilmo »

Almost three hours of Shane Meadows on BBC2 tonight.

Wings of Desire is on Sky Arts2.

Network again on TCM.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Film4:
01:00am

Silent Light (Film)
Carlos Reygadas' Cannes-winning film is set in north Mexico's Mennonite community. Johan is a hard-working farmer, married to Esther but having an affair with single woman Marianne. But it is a principle of the faith to be non-condemnatory, and the adulterous affair is a matter for the three principals to somehow cope with - until tragedy strikes, forcing a painful resolution.
Director: Carlos Reygadas
Starring: Cornelio Wall, Miriam Toews, Maria Pankratz, Elizabeth Fehr, Jacobo Klassen, Peter Wall
(In German/French/Spanish/English with English Subtitles, Widescreen, 2007, 15, 4 Star)

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

Paulo, have you ever thought of putting your TV recommendations in a blog? That way, people could subscribe to the RSS feed and get daily updates of what's coming on. I only check this forum sporadically and usually find I've missed good things in the past few days.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

^You're very welcome to baby-step me through the process; show me the right site, etc. If I start looking around, hand unheld, I know I'll get quite lost in the internet's siren resplendence.

Sky Arts 2:
11:00
M (Film)
Fritz Lang's defining thriller. While police conduct a major hunt for a child murderer, other criminals are finding it hard to operate and plan to catch the killer themselves.
Director: Fritz Lang
Starring: Peter Lorre, Ellen Widmann, Inge Landgut, Otto Wernicke, Theodor Loos, Gustaf Gründgens
(Stereo, Black and White, 1931, PG, 4 Star) (Get more information on this movie)
12:45

17:00
Kirikou and the Sorceress (Film)
Award-winning French animation film written and directed by Michel Ocelot. Based on an African folk tale, Kirikou, a newborn boy, struggles to save his village from a wicked sorceress.
Director: Michel Ocelot
Starring: Doudou Gueye Thiaw, Maimouna N'Diaye, Awa Sene Sarr, Robert Liensol, William Nadylam, Sebastien Hebrant
(Stereo, Widescreen, 1998, U, 4 Star) (Get more information on this movie)
18:15

Also, a rarity that I almost missed.
Also on Sky Arts 2:

22:00
Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno (Arts)
Stunning film salvaged by Serge Bromberg and Ruxandra Medrea from over 185 reels and 15 hours of material shot by iconic French film-maker Henri-Georges Clouzot in 1964.
(New, Dolby Stereo, Widescreen, 2009)
23:40

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Tuesday, 22nd

Film4:
00:25
The Tree of Wooden Clogs (Film)
Ermanno Olmi's Cannes-winning drama is set in rural Italy at the end of the 19th century, centred on four families of peasants who live in the same farm complex. As the seasons change, the film simply follows their toil, lives and traditions with the central motif the carving of a child's clog from a felled poplar tree. Using a completely amateur cast drawn from rural farms, Olmi's contemplative, elegiac film is a beautifully shot record of a vanished way of life.
Director: Ermanno Olmi
Starring: Luigi Ornaghi, Francesca Moriggi, Omar Brignoli, Antonio Ferrari, Teresa Brescianini, Giuseppe Brignoli
(Subtitles, Subtitled, In Italian with English Subtitles, 12, 1978, 4 Star)

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Film4:
23:15
The Savages (Film)
Tamara Jenkins' film stars Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman as Wendy and Jon Savage, siblings facing up to the unwelcome realities of responsibility for their father Lenny, who is suffering from dementia. Placing him in a home in Buffalo, they must not only try and reconcile with the curmudgeon they fled but also get along with each other as he, a professor of theatre and she, an aspiring playwright, must also face their own emotional and life failures. Yet the film isn't all downbeat, thanks to a witty script, pithily delivered.
Director: Tamara Jenkins
Starring: Laura Linney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Philip Bosco, Peter Friedman, David Zayas, Gbenga Akinnagbe
(Widescreen, 2007, 12, 3 Star) (Get more information on this movie)
01:25
Through a Glass Darkly (Film)
Ingmar Bergman's film captures in gripping detail the mental breakdown of Karin, watched in helpless horror by her husband Max Von Sydow and father Gunnar Jornstrand.
Director: Ingmar Bergman
Starring: Harriet Andersson, Gunnar Björnstrand, Max von Sydow, Lars Passgård
(In Swedish with Subtitles, Black and White, 1961, PG, 4 Star)

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I'm catching The Tree of Wooden Clogs later today. not that this is to due with anything in the realm of UK tv, but this thread reminded me of it. Huzzah.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Huzzah indeed.

Ensure you are well rested.

BECAUSE YOU ARE IN FOR A WILD RIDE

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

There's not enough caps and/or exclamatory remarks known to convey exactly how powerful and unique an experience that was. Wild, indeed. I'm gonna have to track down I Fidanzati ASAP, might have a new director to add to my favs.

derailment of this thread is done. Just wanted to get that all out, also give a thanks to you (+ hehejaja, FFD, & eveelun) for putting it on my radar.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

BBC4:
22:25
La Reine Margot (Film)
Award-winning adaptation of Alexandre Dumas's epic novel in which Marguerite de Valois is forced into a political marriage with Henri de Navarre in an attempt to unify warring factions in France. However when Margot's brother, Charles IX, orders the killing of all Protestants in the St Bartholomew's Day massacre, she is forced to choose between her husband and her family, and gains a new lover in the gallant La Mole.
Director: Patrice Chéreau
Starring: Vincent Perez, Barbet Schroeder, Jean-Hugues Anglade, Daniel Auteuil, Isabelle Adjani, Virna Lisi
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, 18, 1994, 3 Star) (Get more information on this movie)
00:40

SkyArts2:
22:00
Hannah Takes the Stairs (Film)
Love is playing the trumpet in the bath. Intern Hannah isn't sure she's found Mr Right, but she's sure ready to go looking. A bittersweet, bed-hopping indie comedy.
Director: Joe Swanberg
Starring: Greta Gerwig, Kent Osborne, Andrew Bujalski, Ry Russo-Young, Mark Duplass, Todd Rohal
(Stereo, Widescreen, 2007, 3 Star) (Get more information on this movie)
23:25