Star Wars: Episode 9

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
livelove
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Star Wars: Episode 9

Post by livelove »

news:
    Dead Carrie Fisher will be back (via unused shots from Episode 7).
    Dead Luke Skywalker will be back (I'm sure as a force ghost).
Honestly, to me as a Star Wars fan it feels like the creative minds behind the sequel trilogy have squandered a golden opportunity: I mean, they were lucky enough to have Carrie Fisher still alive (as it turns out in her last years on Earth). They had Harrison Ford, who had almost died in a plane crash, so they were also pretty lucky to have him. And Mark Hamill, too. I mean, the OT was a long, long time ago ...

And what did they do?
They killed off Han.
They killed off Luke.
They only saved Leia, but the actress died.

It's such a blunder.
And now they are trying to revive dead characters and dead actresses ... such a bitter irony.

It really hurts me to think, how much more they could have done. Not just with the films, but with all these beloved characters.

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Re: Star Wars: Episode 9

Post by kgbelliveau »

There is a long standing story that Harrison Ford asked for Solo to die in Return of the Jedi and was refused by Lucas. Perhaps he only agreed to return if they killed him.

I do not mind the creative endeavour to kill off major staples of the universe in order to create new and engaging story. I am more appalled that they did not try and create a real ending for Leia instead of us now being reduced to already filmed sequences that probably will not fit in with the movie.

It is more appaling to me that Carrie Fisher is posthumously being used with no real sense of conclusion for a character that deserves better. The Star Wars Universe has already shown love to Fisher through messages, videos during what was a really difficult time showing her on screen again to just feature her seems really detrimental to the series as an overall plot device.

Perhaps the answer does now fall on a return from Mark Hamill and having him return at least ensures one of the original trio makes an appearance in the final installment. I doubt anyone would have been severely angry if Leia would have been entirely left out. We cannot just expect cinema to be able to ignore the death of a major star with modern technology. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus comes to mind with how the narration and script were altered so Heath Ledgers final film did not have to go to waste.

What they are doing with Carrie Fisher is in my opinion a step too far. We can seperate that Carrie Fisher was a legend who passed away too soon from General Organa who was and always will be a fictional character. I hope this all makes sense. Sorry for the long post.

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

Frankly, I have very low expectations for the nu-Star Wars films. All of them have been overly safe garbage with zero charm or charisma. At least the prequel movies tried to be something new and for what it's worth it actually did create some neat concepts that'd be utilized by EU content. The new films; however, don't even generate that.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

If there was a good story that needed Organa and existing footage could make it work I'm all for that. I would even prefer this to handwaving Organa's absence in dialogue, which no matter the story you tell (with or without unused footage) explaining her diminished or non-existent role in the narrative would be a necessity. You can't just let the leader of the protaganists forces just disappear. However, if it's a patchwork fit in to say goodbye yet again that's stupid. I get the feeling it's a lose-lose situation, but hopefully the rest of the story is crafted well enough that it'll only be a hiccup.

As for Skywalker, I'm surprised to hear Hamil is coming back. I felt his death stank of an actor not sure if he wanted to return or not and less of a set decision in the story they wanted to tell. But I'll be glad to see him again.

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

ribcage wrote:IHowever, if it's a patchwork fit in to say goodbye yet again that's stupid. I get the feeling it's a lose-lose situation, but hopefully the rest of the story is crafted well enough that it'll only be a hiccup.

One can only hope but based on how The Last Jedi ended it definitely feels like the character of Leia was going to be a key player in the final part of this saga. Hamill is obviously reduced to a minor role and I strongly believe him coming back is a deflection to earn my time to handle the Leia situation.

I was disappointed with The Last Jedi and how it handled almost every plotline so now they have a major plot whole and zero other interesting characters. The last patt is gonna be a disaster.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

kgbelliveau wrote:There is a long standing story that Harrison Ford asked for Solo to die in Return of the Jedi and was refused by Lucas. Perhaps he only agreed to return if they killed him.
interesting. Any facts to that?

Concerning Leia, I differ. Seeing unseen footage feels like making her come back alive for a moment. To me this is magic.

I prefer real live appearances to jedi ghost appearances. Given that Luke is dead, I'd say it's better than nothing to have him come back that way, but I would obviously prefer to see all of them alive (Han, Luke, Leia).

It would have been so wonderful to have all 3 of them in movies side-by-side with new faces and have good interaction between them. They had this unique chance and squandered it. It's incredibly disappointing.

Harpy Gee wrote:All of them have been overly safe garbage with zero charm or charisma. At least the prequel movies tried to be something new and for what it's worth it actually did create some neat concepts that'd be utilized by EU content. The new films; however, don't even generate that.
I'm with you.

ribcage wrote:If there was a good story that needed Organa and existing footage could make it work I'm all for that. I would even prefer this to handwaving Organa's absence in dialogue, which no matter the story you tell (with or without unused footage) explaining her diminished or non-existent role in the narrative would be a necessity. You can't just let the leader of the protaganists forces just disappear.
agreed, too

ribcage wrote:As for Skywalker, I'm surprised to hear Hamil is coming back. I felt his death stank of an actor not sure if he wanted to return or not and less of a set decision in the story they wanted to tell. But I'll be glad to see him again.
Interesting thought. I had never seen it from that perspective. Did Hamill say something to that effect ?

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Whether the new films are good or bad; killing the oldlings was the right choice. They gave us enough and the more they are around the more they are ruined. We don't need to see Leia kicking C3PO or a ghost Qui-Gon story.

Let the past die, kill it if you have to.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Why kill something which was great?
It's just as difficult to write a good story for new characters than for the old ones.
And let's be honest: What are the chances that new characters will ever become even half the legends the old ones are?

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

coffee wrote:Whether the new films are good or bad; killing the oldlings was the right choice. They gave us enough and the more they are around the more they are ruined. We don't need to see Leia kicking C3PO or a ghost Qui-Gon story.

Let the past die, kill it if you have to.

That's rather comical given that these movies live off of the nostalgia factor of the old films. VII was quite literally a shittier version of the first movie, and VIII was an attempt to one up and subvert V. Lucas was VERY much willing to "let the past die," but the execs at Disney decided that there would be great money in reviving that past. They were right. :lol:

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

I'm happy that my post put a smile on your face.

Also I'm not interested in money or the bussiness side of the films.

Leia was a fierce fighter woman and she has become practically a female Dumbledore. Luke was a passionate guy. His passion was actually the drive of the first three films. Now he's become a soulless shell.

What I wrote was "the more they are around the more they are ruined". It was a year ago. I still think the same. Kill the past. Don't ruin the old characters.