An HP fan theory. Does it make sense?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
theelderwand
Ratings
Your TCI: na

An HP fan theory. Does it make sense?

Post by theelderwand »

A foreign friend and I are big fans of Harry Potter. We actually met at a certain fancon and from then on, we became good friends regardless of our distance. We keep talking about our what-ifs of the book and the movie and we actually came up with a theory that Harry Potter is now immortal. Originally, the prophecy said that the only one who can kill Harry is Voldemort and the only one who can kill the latter is the former. However, now that Voldemort is gone, is there a reason for Harry to die according to the prophecy? Does the theory make sense or it is just probably our imaginations going wild?

coffee
0 Ratings

Re: An HP fan theory. Does it make sense?

Post by coffee »

I don't know if this is the right board for this topic but anyway...

The prophecies in HP world are not certain. They are not fate. Dumbledore says that in the 6th book.

So a prophecy may become completely true or never even happen.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
Terminator logic aside, at the end of the books Harry is (technically) in possession of all 3 Deathly Hallows, thus making him the master of death.

The prophecy is as follows:
...And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ...

Either must die...once Voldemort is dead, the prophecy can be considered fulfilled.

Personally, I like the idea of Harry slowly discovering he's immortal or being corrupted by the Deathly Hallows as he grows older. It makes for a more compelling story than whatever The Cursed Child was.

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Yeah, once Voldemort is dead the prophecy is fulfilled, so it most likely stops being relevant. But the best HP fan theory I've heard is that the whole reason why the wizarding world is hidden from the public at large is because their was a war between the wizards and the muggles - and the wizards lost. While magic in the series is shown to be pretty powerful, muggle society has the advantage in numbers, and pretty decisively so.

Obviously not cannon, but I think it fits pretty well, especially with how utterly baffled the wizarding community is by muggle technology and social norms. They've definitely been out of the loop for a long time. It was funny at first, but then it started to feel like an incongruous element, or was at least going to lead to some kind of point, especially considering Harry's muggle upbringing, but it was all forgotten about by the end. Oh well.

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

Anomaly1 wrote:Obviously not cannon, but I think it fits pretty well, especially with how utterly baffled the wizarding community is by muggle technology and social norms. They've definitely been out of the loop for a long time. It was funny at first, but then it started to feel like an incongruous element, or was at least going to lead to some kind of point, especially considering Harry's muggle upbringing, but it was all forgotten about by the end. Oh well.

Perhaps there is still a chance for all of this to make an appearance within the cannon given the Fantastic Beasts series being set before Harrys time at Hogwarts. If not it would be interesting to see it be brought back up somehow down the line because I was also fascinated by this being left out of the original series as it progressed. Interesting points that I had almost forgotten about until now.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

Anomaly1 wrote:the best HP fan theory I've heard is that the whole reason why the wizarding world is hidden from the public at large is because their was a war between the wizards and the muggles - and the wizards lost. While magic in the series is shown to be pretty powerful, muggle society has the advantage in numbers, and pretty decisively so.

I like this theory, though I also like the idea that magic has dwindled since Merlin was around.

As to the magic community being baffled by technology; I think that is mainly down to Rowling not creating a logical magical system, and using it as an justification for the insularity of wizards (especially pure blood families). Personally I'm a fan of the magical divide in the Abhorsen trilogy. Where magic causes technology to break down, but doesn't permeate beyond it's charter.

To bring it back to an ancient war, lost by wizards to muggles; what if, their was a "charter" set-up limiting the wizarding world. #fan.theory

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

I liked the theory that Harry, Snape and Voldemort are the three brothers from that Hallows story. They each represent a brother. Voldemort is the oldest, he wants the wand to kill anyone. Snape wants to bring back Lily. The third brother is actually Harry's ancestor. The theory says Dumbledore represents death but I don't find that cute. Like Dumbledore said, Death was just the fantasy part of that story.

Flanker_33
Ratings

Post by Flanker_33 »

The "Muggle/Wizard war" theory makes sense if you ask me, it explains why it's the wizards who hide from the Muggles and not the other way around. Plus, it could be explained technologically, since the wizards could maintain the upper hand over Muggles for centuries, but got outsmarted and outgunned (literally) with the spread of firearms among Muggle forces, which would grant the latter an advantage in a fight over the former, and even (when used in groups) in fights against stuff like giants or dragons. Then, the Muggles would have chosen not to exterminate wizards just to keep stuff like Dementors or trolls under control.