Joker

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Joker

Post by Stewball »

This takes "dark" to an extreme, without any touches of dark comedy, making it exceptionally creepy, like the scene with him bathing his mother. :? The first third is pretty one-dimensional until the other early characters from Batman start appearing; making this the reality or history behind the canonical myths and legends in the Batman comics and Dark Knight movies. It's hard to compare Phoenix's performance with Heath Ledger's. They're both powerful, but I can almost hear Ledger's version asking Phoenix, "why so serioussssa?"
Excellent use of music and to a certain extent, dance. My favorite scene, is his routine on the stairs (see poster) to Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll Pt. 2"--well, that and an honorable mention for De Niro's last scene. 8-)

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Re: Joker

Post by kgbelliveau »

It most definitely one of the most uncomfortable viewing experiences. It was an extreme look into a fractured mind that didn't get enough help. I can't honestly see anyone aside from Phoenix in this role and I am not sure that's a testament to this performance or the his own signs of diving too deep into his roles for the sake of art.

One hell of a film, not sure I even fully understand how I truly feel about it

TheSean
0 Ratings

Post by TheSean »

Stewball wrote: My favorite scene, is his routine on the stairs (see poster) to Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll Pt. 2"

That was a highlight for me too.

Overall I really enjoyed this film.

Mentaculus
105 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

Stewball wrote:Excellent use of music and to a certain extent, dance. My favorite scene, is his routine on the stairs (see poster) to Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll Pt. 2"--well, that and an honorable mention for De Niro's last scene. 8-)

Absolutely -- although for me a favorite moment (and an early clue of the kind of descent we were going to see) was the first slow dance in the dingy bathroom [spoiler]after the triple murder[/spoiler]. It planted those seeds of the Joker creepy dance as a kind of personal yoga and a way to say he's freeing himself of responsibility for his actions. Of course this dance becomes a perverse celebration on the stair scene.

I know everyone's talking about the Scorsese influences but I saw it more as a bizarroworld cross of Christmas Evil and Network - it has the same mood as Beale shouting into the TV "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!", and people start shouting it into the streets - but it just takes that anger and adds some murder and mayhem and madness to it. [spoiler](Plus, it ends with a TV host being killed on live TV, so it has another direct parallel.)[/spoiler] People are going to disagree with that, and they should, but that may be why this is one of the more important films of the year for me.

IsaacM
1 Ratings

Post by IsaacM »

I loved this film. The cinematography was really interesting and Phoenix was immense as usual. It references and relys on taxi driver alot but it's still great imo

RipeMelon
Ratings

Post by RipeMelon »

I just figured out, why it was so moody and left a mental scar on me.
It was all about mental illness and how it might feel like.
I remember watching scene where Arthur was following Sophie and how he had 'wonderful' conversation with her (https://clip.cafe/joker-2019/were-following-today/). Being snappy and funny and all. He felt great when he succumbed to his illness.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

RipeMelon wrote: "I just figured out, why it was so moody and left a mental scar on me.
It was all about mental illness and how it might feel like.
I remember watching scene where Arthur was following Sophie and how he had 'wonderful' conversation with her (https://clip.cafe/joker-2019/were-following-today/). Being snappy and funny and all. He felt great when he succumbed to his illness."

But isn't that happiness and enjoyment come with a massive repression of one's ***inherent sense of right and wrong?

*** inherent because we are fully self-aware humans who know what it would be like to have what you're causing to another, being done to you. Some animals experience grief, but, apparently only humans know that inevitability, universality and finality of death.

But isn't that happiness and enjoyment come with a massive repression of one's ***inherent sense of right and wrong?

*** inherent because we are fully self-aware humans who know what it would be like to have what you're causing to another, being done to you. Some animals experience grief, but, apparently only humans know that inevitability, universality and finality of death.