Cruella

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Cruella

Post by Stewball »

Velvet Crowe wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 am
In the context of China, many American films were outright banned or never got the chance to arrive on Chinese shores due to being outright banned or American developers viewing the Chinese market as not being valuable enough to cope with their demands of censorship. I'm not privy to the details, but I wouldn't doubt various changes have been made to Chinese films that did manage to get officially released in these nations as far back as like the 90's. What is new is that China actually has authority to demand changes be made in their interests which is something nations like Japan or Turkey never did nor did they have the clout to do so. The Chinese market has become valuable enough that the nation itself can dictate what Film Makers can or should produce, and naturally the potential profit loss is not something these people want to lose.
Yes, we're only now beginning to see what a Chicom world would be like. First their lackeys get us to make up a story blaming Russia for meddling in our elections. Then they get us to ignore what they're doing, which turns out to be what we accused Russia of doing...and so much more. And this time the coup worked, and if
elections stay stolen, it will be permanent.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 pm
ShogunRua wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:50 pm
A silly, generic dismissal, especially since

1. The Critical Drinker was criticizing Disney and their business model of putting out warmed-over trash based on nostalgia, NOT a piece of art, which is what the quote is about.

2. The Critical Drinker's channel is full of videos praising various movies and TV shows.
Yeah, so now I gotta wade through his tirades to see what he approves of, which wouldn't be nearly as much fun for us peons to read, and god knows what kind of "art" that he likes would be. And while you're at it, show me a large production company that hasn't put out its share of warmed over trash, which is not, as best I can tell at this point, what "Cruella" is. The difference between you and me is, if it is trash, I have and will again admit to my mal-judgement--but you would never, while gloating that even I admit that I was wrong...not even granting an "occasionally".
The funny part here is I think you would really like The Critical Drinker if you watched more of his content. He even has a similar type of sociopolitical perspective. And most of the movies he loves are ones you're a big fan of, too.

And I love how you're complaining about the Chicoms (as any sane person should, for the record), yet have no problems with Disney, which, among other things, always bends the knee to the Chicoms.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:05 pm
The funny part here is I think you would really like The Critical Drinker if you watched more of his content. He even has a similar type of sociopolitical perspective. And most of the movies he loves are ones you're a big fan of, too.
I don't mind the occasional use of sarcasm or ridicule, but serving that for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a given film tells me they got nothing else.
And I love how you're complaining about the Chicoms (as any sane person should, for the record), yet have no problems with Disney, which, among other things, always bends the knee to the Chicoms.
I like one out of three "Cruella" trailers and I've got no problem with Disney??? :roll: And in my never-to-be-humble-opinion, over half of what they've put out in the last 5 years is weak or worse. On top of that, I'll never forgive Disney for trashing Uncle Scrooge by dragging it through the Duck Tales junk, or otherwise completely ignoring it's potential.

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

ShogunRua wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am

You completely missed my own point. Namely, that literally any major development in our world, including scientific breakthroughs, can frequently be seen as nothing more than "exacerbating the issue" whose preconditions had already been established long ago.

It's a semantics game, and doesn't make said development any less significant. In this case, causing the collapse of Hollywood 20 years sooner than it might have happened otherwise is a huge deal, not to be minimized.
I was just asserting what my core point was. At no point did I express disagreement on this point nor claim it was insignificant.
ShogunRua wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am
I've never understood this mindset. This is a small, anonymous forum and we're probably the only two people reading one another's responses. And I provided you with two links, both reasonably short and using uncomplicated language.

So why, instead of bothering to read said links, and gain knowledge and information on the subject, do you find it preferable to ignore both links and instead double down on the same flawed point, complete with utterly baseless speculation?

Again, it's not like there is a reward for arguing here.
I ignored those links because they're not relevant to my argument at all. I didn't deny what was said in those articles, I just stated that localization is not some new concept in the film industry and listed various examples of such. That was my core point. I don't know why you're switching goalposts here. Nothing in those articles clarified or contradicted anything I said to begin with, so I don't know why they matter here?