Barry Lyndon

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Barry Lyndon

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I've been wanting to check this out for a long time. What are people's thoughts on it? How does it compare to Kubrick's other work? I think I'll enjoy it as I've seen some of the stills and it looks literally like a moving painting, and I love art films and the seventies in general - but I've never seen it released on DVD which is a shame.

MmzHrrdb

Re: Barry Lyndon

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Barry is an interesting character, and probably the most tragic of all Kubrick's subjects. The story arc is pretty epic, but extremely slow and calculated, more than any other Kubrick film I'd say. If you're a fan of his, definitely check it out.

The photography is outstanding. I love the very first shot.

AFlickering
288 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

well it left me a bit cold but that's always a risk with kubrick. you've got to see it just for the cinematography really, and if you're interested in understanding kubrick it's fascinating.

NathanDarko
17 Ratings

Post by NathanDarko »

sadly, barry lyndon is the only kubrick movie I can´t get into... would love to like it but it´s to long too slow ( normaly a slow movie isn´t my problem on the other hand 2001 is my top movie ever ) and there´s something with the cast that displeases me.

westknife
0 Ratings

Post by westknife »

It's one of my favorite Kubrick films. Sure, Lyndon isn't a very sympathetic character, but Kubrick wasn't making a traditional movie. The incredible visuals, the music, the whole mood of it is fascinating. It's a long movie but I've watched it a few times without ever getting bored.

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

'Barry Lyndon', as to expect from a Kubrick film, is a masterpiece and nearly perfect on every aspect: cinematography, directing, recreation, script, acting, soundtrack... It just never fails. It has the epic length of 3+ hours and feels like two at best. Yes, it is slow (kind of contradicting what I just said, doesn't it? ;) ), but it engages the viewer like very few films does, and by the ending (which nearly dragged me to tears) he is left asking for more.

Now it is me who wants to see 'Barry Lyndon' again.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

NathanDarko wrote:sadly, barry lyndon is the only kubrick movie I can´t get into... would love to like it but it´s to long too slow ( normaly a slow movie isn´t my problem on the other hand 2001 is my top movie ever ) and there´s something with the cast that displeases me.

What he said.