M.Night Shyamalan

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Anomaly
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: M.Night Shyamalan

Post by Anomaly »

theficionado wrote:Went to go see a movie recently. Crowded showing. When the preview for Devil came up and it was revealed that M. Night Shyamalan was a producer, the entire theatre broke into loud, mocking laughter.

I think that's when you throw in the towel.

I've been hearing about that happening from plenty of people and websites. Seriously, whose bright idea was to make his name that prominent in the ads?

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

I just saw "The Happening"..... hahahaha... might be one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

I challenge anyone who thinks Shyamalan is a good director/writer to watch that movie, and with a straight face, tell me he's even a decent director/writer.

i was saddened to see Zooey sucked into such an awful movie, and even worst to see her spit out such an awful performance; I actually know Zooey from her musical career (She & Him - who i recommend everyone check out), but now I'll be able to make fun of her a little next time i see her.

I was glad to see Marky Mark do such an awful performance, which i can only say is "on par," and will gladly use this movie as an example for why he might be the worst actor ever.

PS - I would recommend this movie to be mandated for all film students to watch, as a perfect example of "what not to do." If anyone ever needs an example to demonstrate a "hit bottom" god-awful movie, just watch this movie.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ayall wrote:I just saw "The Happening"..... hahahaha... might be one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

Yes that movie is terrible. I felt like I was watching a snuff film. Seriously a guy turns on the lawnmower and lays down in front of it. WTF.

As for other Shyamalan films my favorite is The Village (which I know a lot of people don't like), but I liked the premise, the score is one of my favorites, I really like William Hurt, and I felt Bryce Dallas Howard gave a very underrated performance. On top of that you also have Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody, Sigourney Weaver, and Brendan Gleeson. The Sixth Sense was good and Signs was decent but forgettable.

Ununnilium
82 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

ayall wrote:I challenge anyone who thinks Shyamalan is a good director/writer to watch that movie, and with a straight face, tell me he's even a decent director/writer.

You know, even if it's a split-screen of Manos and Gigli for an hour and a half, that doesn't take away from the quality of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. He can certainly be a good director and a good writer. And he can be a bad one.

And honestly, I've never thought the "twist" in Signs was really supposed to be The Big Shocking Twist. Because that's not the climax of the movie.

Edit: Also, guys? C'mon. We can be polite when we talk about movies!

Another edit: And I can necro threads without noticing. Ah, well.

by Devol
0 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

Ununnilium wrote:Also, guys? C'mon. We can be polite when we talk about movies!

BOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRR-RIIIIIINNNGGG!!!!!!! :twisted:

talk to the hand :)
(remember that one? from about.....oh......15 years ago?)

I can understand how it can get chirpy sometimes, but yeah you're right - it doesn't hurt to be cool about shit. (no emoticon this time)

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

movieboy wrote:Watched the Last Airbender today. I liked the movie - (70) - Tier 7. May be I am lucky that I have never seen or heard of the original Airbender before.
Here is the mini-review
I have no idea why this movie is panned so much.

Because it takes he original Airbender TV show (which was adored by millions of fans, and very intelligent for children's programming) and turned it into a craptacular CGI fest stripped of all it's charm and appeal. Go watch the series...if you liked the movie adaptation, the actual series will blow your mind.

Zozan
0 Ratings

Post by Zozan »

Out of curiosity..
Why does Shyamalan has such a big reputation? Something interesting about this guy I dont notice?

There are hundreds of directors who are better then this guy, who has made more movies, got more approval, but their names are not spelled as much. How does Shyamalan gets 10 forum pages of attention, why do we care?

P u l p
0 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

movieboy wrote:
movieboy wrote:

I watched Split. I couldn't get through the movie. Switched it off halfway. The last 2 Shyamalan movies I have seen (Split & the Visit) have been the worst - both Tier 1. Will watch Glass soon.

Couldn't get through Glass either. It's slow as hell.

I'm not saying they are good (or bad), but being "slow as hell" is not necessarily a flaw. It's just not your taste.