M.Night Shyamalan

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
JimmyWood
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

M.Night Shyamalan

Post by JimmyWood »

My Favourite Director and my inspiration to become a filmmaker myself, hope to meet him one day and hope he carries on making brilliant films

I know theres alot of haters but to me he can do no wrong!

please be nice! :(

MmzHrrdb

Re: M.Night Shyamalan

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Unbreakable did seem like a breath of fresh air admist the start of the recent super hero films coming out.

Good to see something original and not just an adaptation of Marvel and DC too.

I honestly don't care about the rest but I can see why someone may like Signs or Sixth Sense. Can't stand Lady in the Water at all.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Good luck on chasing your dream. Just don't use Shyamalabimbam as a role model. The guy is a cheat and a hack. There are plenty of other inspiring directors out there.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

OP how do you justify giving The Happening a higher score than The Shining?
Last edited by Pickpocket on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overrated
278 Ratings

Post by overrated »

I've heard of this half-hour or hour long TV special Shyamalan did which was supposed to be autobiographical, something about him being clinically dead for a certain amount of time and then he could see ghosts (original, I know)? If anyone knows what I'm talking about and where it can be seen for free... I think it was just before Lady In The Water came out.

Also Signs is one of the most frustrating movies ever made.

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I refuse to watch The Happening without rifftrax commentary. And so should anyone.

miss jesus
0 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

JooJoo wrote:rifftrax commentary

WOOT!

We're watching the Twilight sequel Riff tonight. I can't believe I paid for a copy of that film, and I can't believe I'm going to watch it on purpose. Guess that's a testament to how funny those guys are.

As for Shyamalan, I'm a hater.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Signs and The Village are two of the dumbest movies ever made. Signs in particular is idiotic on a variety of levels, and ranks very close to being the worst movie I have ever seen. I am not going to analyze Shyamalan based on his technical abilities, because that is not something I am qualified to do. But in terms of being a movie watcher who does not like to be bullshitted, I am qualified to say that Shyamalan has made a career out of dressing up lame stories with airs of substance. The world does not need more M.Night Shyamalans. Do not base a filmmaking career on making the same self-important, clueless garbage.

(NOTE: I have not seen Lady in the Water or The Happening because that would be a waste of time. I'll still give the benefit of the doubt to a lot of director's if they make some movies I find disagreeable, but Shyamalan burned through my goodwill in record time.)

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

He's certainly got some talent behind the camera, but his writing isn't very good. The Sixth Sense is pretty boring going into it if you already know the twist (and everyone does), and it becomes really obvious that the entire story is in service of the twist. I haven't seen Unbreakable, Signs was average in retrospect (haven't seen it in a while), but The Village was just terrible. I don't know how he keeps getting films made. I'm not really interested in The Last Airbender, other than it's him finally not using one of his own scripts.

Rifftrax would probably make The Happening worth seeing. I'll have to think it over.

ayall
0 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Is this a joke?

I agree that the Sixth Sense was great and slightly groundbreaking, but this dude's been on a downward slope.

I enjoyed The Village & Unbreakable, even Signs... but Lady in the Water was just awful.
That new film he has coming out, The Last Airbender, looks pretty bad too.

He had a good thing with the idea of that twist at the end that he unvealed in the sixth sense, but he's played it out.