Terrence Malick

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
djross
10 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Terrence Malick

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spanks
0 Ratings

Re: Terrence Malick

Post by Spanks »

I honestly can't wait for these projects to come out. All of Malick's five films are above a 95 for myself, both The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life at 100. And while The Tree of Life came as quiet a surprise (but I can't deny what an impact it had on me) I'm hoping Terry goes back to a more conventional style of story telling and plot, or least as conventional as he gets.
Last edited by Spanks on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Wow, that's awesome news! Malick is easily my favourite director at the moment with every single film of his having got at least a 95 from me. Excited ^_^

Spunkie
196 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Mallick dropped out of my fav.s with the Tree, I can go as far as to predict he's verging on senility. I'm still interested to see what he'll come up with...this time without following the preliminary hype.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

He must be cranking them out before the studios wise up and prevent them from losing any more money

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:He must be cranking them out before the studios wise up and prevent them from losing any more money

Yeah, I think his films are fundamentally incapable of making money nowadays. (This statement has nothing to do with the quality of his movies, just pure economics)

Strange he's slated to direct so many pictures.

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

could be some hollywood execs disagree with you :o

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

They disagree with the fact that his films lose money? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

prowler wrote:could be some hollywood execs disagree with you :o

Sure, and it's one reason why so many studios are going bankrupt left and right, and even top executives at Warner Brothers are getting fired. They gamble too much on sure losers.

Nowadays, it's almost impossible to release a film with the artsy, pretentious sensibilities of "The Tree of Life" (again, whether you enjoyed them or not is a separate discussion) and have it make money. This is reflected in that film being an enormous financial flop.

Unless Malick significantly changes his entire style of making movies (unlikely), it's hard to imagine them even breaking even.

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Maybe they just go with what he does because he's established, or because so many actors want to work with him and can get him money.

What's really interesting is why, after making films at a slower pace than Kubrick did for most of his career, he suddenly has four films he's working on. With Tree of Life/Voyage of Time it was could be him waiting until technology advanced enough to get what he wanted, but the other three are still odd. He's almost 70 now, so he could know that he doesn't have much time left and wants to make sure he says everything he wants to say.

He also doesn't really seem to care if people take pictures of him anymore.