Great supporting actors who never get the lead

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Okkervil
372 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Great supporting actors who never get the lead

Post by Okkervil »

I'm a big fan of Eddie Marsan http://www.criticker.com/people/Eddie_Marsan

Apart from a few minor British flicks he's really never going to get a lead. But he is nearly always brilliant, even in the smallest of roles.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

stuie299 wrote:1. So you're saying that he was good in a supporting role...isn't that the point? Good actors that should be in lead roles.

Yes, finding people that fit the OP, and why I suggested both Durning and Curry. :?: Clue ? Maybe, but the case could be make that that was just sort of a lead in a meh film and maybe why he never got a real lead. :roll:

movieboy wrote:Wasn't Helena BC the lead in Fight Club?

Yeah, and she had about the same size role in The King's Speech, for which she was nominated for BSA. Her most recognized role award wise was as lead in The Wings of a Dove, but it, sort of like Clue, pretty much went nowhere. Probably all major (great) supporting actors had a lead somewhere.

frederic_g54
0 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Tommy Sun wrote:yeah i agree, i think Eddie is pretty good too, but hmmmm probably not a lead actor at the moment. Its hard to make that break through, to make the viewers actually believe in you

solar panels cost

FUCK...OFF

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

movieboy wrote:
Stewball wrote:
OK, how 'bout Holly Hunter & Helena Bonham Carter.

Wasn't Helena BC the lead in Fight Club?
Even in Novocaine, she could be considered as the lead. Though there were 2 female leads.

I don't see how she could be considered to have the lead in Fight Club. The main character is clearly Edward Norton/Brad Pitt IMO.

Just1n
0 Ratings

Post by Just1n »

Delroy Lindo.

I always enjoy seen him in on screen.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Agreed.

JakeR
0 Ratings

Post by JakeR »

ChrIs Cooper has had the lead in at least two indie films: "Matewan" and "Lone Star," both excellent peformances in John Sayles's preachy manner.

Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

OkkCoCa wrote:I'm a big fan of Eddie Marsan http://www.criticker.com/people/Eddie_Marsan
Apart from a few minor British flicks he's really never going to get a lead. But he is nearly always brilliant, even in the smallest of roles.

Agreed.

metalhank
0 Ratings

Post by metalhank »

I've come up with four:

Kevin McNalley - His Gibbs role in Pirates Of The Caribbean movies is very good, as he delivers some of the best lines.

James Hong - He's been in so many movies that he is almost instantly recognizable, I probably remember him most for his deadpan humour in Airplane.

Adrian Martinez - Really enjoyed his role in Flypaper, and he was pretty good in Focus.

Stephen Root - If you have ever seen Office Space you will not forget Milton and his red stapler.

Malcym
0 Ratings

Post by Malcym »

Stewball wrote:
OK, how 'bout Holly Hunter & Helena Bonham Carter.

Sorry to pick up on a seven year old post but Holly Hunter and Helena Bonham Carter (both of whom I also love by the way!) have both had quite a lot of lead roles.

Just off the top of my head...

Hunter: Broadcast News, Raising Arizona, Miss Firecracker, Always, Once Around, The Piano, Copycat, Living Out Loud...

HBC: Lady Jane, A Room with a View, Howards End, The Wings of the Dove, Margaret's Museum, The Theory of Flight... (she was queen of the corset for some years!)

I'm sure there are other examples for both actresses.