Directors You Hate

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
nilkynarfy
130 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Directors You Hate

Post by nilkynarfy »

movieboy wrote:God, I hate Robert Rodriguez. I have seen only 1 movie of his (Once upon a time in Mexico), but that really made me hate him. I normally don't hate directors even if they make movies I don't like. But somehow this movie made me hate the director.

Yikes! You started at the wrong place entirely. That's like the overblown unintentionally self-parodic (as opposed to Machete, which wallows in self-parody) version of a Robert Rodriguez film. I couldn't even make it past the first half of that film. Give Desperado, Planet Terror or El Mariachi a shot, and if you hate them, your enmity was well-placed.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

nilkynarfy wrote:
movieboy wrote:God, I hate Robert Rodriguez. I have seen only 1 movie of his (Once upon a time in Mexico), but that really made me hate him. I normally don't hate directors even if they make movies I don't like. But somehow this movie made me hate the director.

Yikes! You started at the wrong place entirely. That's like the overblown unintentionally self-parodic (as opposed to Machete, which wallows in self-parody) version of a Robert Rodriguez film. I couldn't even make it past the first half of that film. Give Desperado, Planet Terror or El Mariachi a shot, and if you hate them, your enmity was well-placed.

OUATIM is really more of a spaghetti western parody than anything else (hence the slow, hypnotic pacing).. I didn't like it either when I saw it years back, but when I saw it again recently it was somewhat passable. I'm not exactly a fan of Rodriguez, but I don't think you should hate him on the basis of 1 film (or is it 2 films? because you rated Sin City also).. Machete is also worth a watch (it's trashy but fun). So maybe you just don't like slow movies (which would explain your low scores for imo masterpieces like There Will Be Blood).

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

movieboy wrote:
I actually liked the plot of Road to Perdition but the long pauses etc were unbearable and it ended up in Tier 3.

Changeling - there was a shot which showed Jolie walking for a really long time - that's when I switched off the player.
TWBB - I think it was the shot after one of the fires(not sure, it's been a year or so) - that shot went on for so long with nothing happening that I switched off the player.

Is this an exaggeration or did you seriously shut off a movie because a scene lasted without dialogue, but still executed its story flawlessly, for maybe 4-5 minutes? I haven't seen it in a couple years but, I can't see the TWBB scene lasting longer. That's also probably my favorite scene, at least a close second.

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

I wouldn't have an issue if your problem was with a film that exclusively focuses on long pauses, people talking endlessly (which, when done well, is my favorite thing), but that's basically the most exciting scene of TWBB. That or the beginning. How someone could feel so strongly against it, not even be interested in it, just baffles me.

by Devol
0 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

movieboy wrote:The lower the score between 0-40, the earlier in the movie, I switched it off.

sounds like hasty judgement

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I don't get it how people can judge movies without watching them entirely.. For example, movies like TWBB and The Assassination of Jesse James all work towards conclusions and critical events in the final part/minutes that you'd have to see to have any fundamental idea about what the movie was even really about.

Zozan
0 Ratings

Post by Zozan »

Jorg wrote:I don't get it how people can judge movies without watching them entirely.. For example, movies like TWBB and The Assassination of Jesse James all work towards conclusions and critical events in the final part/minutes that you'd have to see to have any fundamental idea about what the movie was even really about.

Probably judge is not the right word. Think of it as putting the movie in your ignore list or something. By giving it a low score, you make sure you dont make the mistake of trying to watch this movie again in the future.

I have put The Assassination of Jesse James in my Tier2. I watched that with family and my wife was really enjoying the movie, she forced rest of us to stand through it, even though we asked to switch to something else. If I was watching alone, I wouldnt make it till the end. I can see why people like it but it was just plain boring to me. I appreciated the ending by the way but it is just not worth the trouble for me.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Well after watching 4 of his films I'm inclined to conclude that I can't stand Wes Anderson. All is films seem to be the same, with the same cast, brutal pacing, and pretentious obsession with being as quirky as humanly possible.

He seems to get a lot of love on this forum, I guess I just don't get it.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:Well after watching 4 of his films I'm inclined to conclude that I can't stand Wes Anderson. All is films seem to be the same, with the same cast, brutal pacing, and pretentious obsession with being as quirky as humanly possible.

He seems to get a lot of love on this forum, I guess I just don't get it.

I largely agree. While I loved "The Fantastic Mr. Fox", a lot of his films are pretentious, hipster bullshit. "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" were both pretty drab and awful, to varying degrees.

Although I will still give "Moonrise Kingdom" a shot.

nauru
0 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Fantastic Mr Fox and Moonrise Kingdom were some of the lowest scores I've ever given on this site.

Rushmore... I mostly disliked it too, but I found the woman who was the love interest held my attention. Basically I was bored for every scene that she wasn't in. Which is better than the other Anderson films I've seen where I'm bored for basically the entire time. Still gave it a low score, but not nearly as low as the others.