Medieval movie - help me

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
exidil
Ratings
Your TCI: na

Medieval movie - help me

Post by exidil »

Hi, so I'm looking for this movie that i watched when i was younger. I only remember very vague things about it.

It was in a medieval setting, the protagonist couldnt die I think, only when he was hit by a spear in a specifict spot (maybe im wrong). And it was not Achilles (troy). And i think i remember them covering the wounds with leaves (maybe thats just my mind playing on me after so long not seeing the movie).

Idk if its enough details for someone to know the movie.

Thanks in advance!

coffee
0 Ratings

Re: Medieval movie - help me

Post by coffee »

What you described reminded me The Fountain.

metalhank
0 Ratings

Post by metalhank »

The Holy Grail
"I'm not dead yet!"

exidil
Ratings

Post by exidil »

Sadly both of those movies are not it, its definetely not a comedy, and the movie was completely set in medieval times.

comepelicula
0 Ratings

Post by comepelicula »

Maybe you could give some more details like the approximate year you watched it or another scene.

I am going to name one of my favorites medieval movies: "Excalibur" (1981) https://www.criticker.com/film/Excalibur/?

It has some supernatural elements to it, but no leaves scene that i recall.
Last edited by comepelicula on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

exidil wrote:It was in a medieval setting, the protagonist couldnt die I think, only when he was hit by a spear in a specifict spot (maybe im wrong). And it was not Achilles (troy). And i think i remember them covering the wounds with leaves
Hi Exidil.
You are talking about the Germanic heroic legend/saga "Nibelung". You are right in pointing out the trope of Achilles's invulnerability except for his heel (Achilles' heel). The counterpart in the Nibelung saga is Siegfried's invulnerability except for a small spot between his shoulder blades, which was – as you correctly remember – fatefully covered by a leaf, when he was bathing in dragon's blood (which gave him the gift of invulnerability). Siegfried is later pierced by a spear at this sole vulnerable spot.

Unfortunately there are many film adaptions of the Nibelung saga, which are all highly likely to include the aforementioned plot element, as it is the saga's central theme. Without further information it will therefore be difficult to track down the particular film you saw, but here are 3 lists of Nibelung adaptions:

Maybe you can determine the film you saw by way of eliminating films that don't fit your criteria (e.g. release year, etc.).
Or maybe further memories will resurface when browsing through the titles in these lists.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

livelove wrote:
exidil wrote:It was in a medieval setting, the protagonist couldnt die I think, only when he was hit by a spear in a specifict spot (maybe im wrong). And it was not Achilles (troy). And i think i remember them covering the wounds with leaves
Hi Exidil.
You are talking about the Germanic heroic legend/saga "Nibelung". You are right in pointing out the trope of Achilles's invulnerability except for his heel (Achilles' heel). The counterpart in the Nibelung saga is Siegfried's invulnerability except for a small spot between his shoulder blades, which was – as you correctly remember – fatefully covered by a leaf, when he was bathing in dragon's blood (which gave him the gift of invulnerability). Siegfried is later pierced by a spear at this sole vulnerable spot.

Unfortunately there are many film adaptions of the Nibelung saga, which are all highly likely to include the aforementioned plot element, as it is the saga's central theme. Without further information it will therefore be difficult to track down the particular film you saw, but here are 3 lists of Nibelung adaptions:

Maybe you can determine the film you saw by way of eliminating films that don't fit your criteria (e.g. release year, etc.).
Or maybe further memories will resurface when browsing through the titles in these lists.

Thanks. The scene sounded really familiar to me and I remember reading it in a book years ago and I could've sworn it was Beowulf, but when I looked it up I couldn't find any versions of Beowulf where he was invulnerable. I was close though. Yeah, it definitely sounds like Die Nibelungen to me as well. Thanks for solving this mystery for me and OP.

exidil
Ratings

Post by exidil »

livelove wrote:
Hi Exidil.

Yes!!! That is it, thank you so much! I would have never be able to find it, i searched a couple years ago but gave up. He bathed in dragon blood! Totally forgot that, how cool is that.

Ill be definetely looking up all those movies and maybe ill remember which one specifically it was!
Thanks so much!

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

You are both very welcome.
Exidil, if you are able to determine the specific film, please let us know here.