teen romance about jazz [solved: Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench]

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
5Z5qjRCfM2
176 Ratings
Your TCI: na

teen romance about jazz [solved: Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench]

Post by 5Z5qjRCfM2 »

I saw this film some time between 1995 and 2010. This memory is really hazy and maybe one or two of these features are misremembered.

1. romance film between teens or early 20s
  2. she is white, he is black
  3. he is studying music, some kind of horn (trumpet?)
  4. the film itself may be in black and white
  5. I recall a scene in front of the stoop of an apartment building like you would find in Brooklyn. Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=brooklyn+stoop&client=ubuntu&hs=amK&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8puRjzwRTpQQkM%253A%252CJ6pkelbCSQ1dHM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRd0uBMRHf-SPJJXEmjaeAH0TqvhQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjEuruCjZTgAhXh-yoKHY80C4kQ9QEwAnoECAMQCA#imgrc=uIU5Hd8OWMQHUM:
    Although this style is common all over the east coast of the US.
  6. The thing I remember most and the reason I'm looking for it is because the whole film had this incredible jazz sountrack. The film is quasi-musical; I don't remember the characters actually singing, but the movement/action of certain scenes is aligned with the soundtrack in a very anti-realist way.
  7. edit: filmed 1980 or after (from what I remember of the film quality)

There's a small possibility this was a short film or a student film, as I saw this in a class. I think this is unlikely, though; my memory is that it was feature-length.

I've been googling sporadically every few years for the last 10 years trying to remember this film. If you can think of what it is, may the ghost of Ingmar Bergman smile on your soul. You'll have my everlasting thanks.
Last edited by 5Z5qjRCfM2 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings

Re: teen romance about jazz

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

5Z5qjRCfM2
176 Ratings

Post by 5Z5qjRCfM2 »

Shadows is a really good guess, and looks like a great film, but the one I saw was definitely newer than that. At least after 1980. Thanks!

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

5Z5qjRCfM2
176 Ratings

Post by 5Z5qjRCfM2 »

dookobore wrote:https://www.criticker.com/film/Guy-and-Madeline-on-a/

Holy shit that's it, my god. I must have seen this at a film festival when it came out. You're a lifesaver.