Name this early 2000's movie

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
JustRain
Ratings
Your TCI: na

Name this early 2000's movie

Post by JustRain »

I'm very new to Reddit but I've been trying for years to find the name of this movie and a friend suggested I try here.

I'm not sure when it came out but I watched the movie around 2003-2004 and it didn't seem very old at the time. It's about a young, white boy, probably 10 years old, who is with his parents in some kind of warm, desert-area, possibly Africa. His parents are researchers or journalists or something of that nature. He parents get killed and the boy has to go on the run by himself. He meets a black man with a pet bush baby (or some other kind of little monkey/lemur type creature that was very cute) and a dirt bike who says he'll get him home for money. I don't remember how the boy and the man meet.

A few scenes I really remember are:

The man tells the boy he's a mercenary or a killer or that he worked with the people who killed his parents (I can't remember but it's something bad) and the boy becomes very weary of him. The two go into some kind of cave and there's a cave-in where the man gets buried in sand. He calls out to the boy to help him but the boy leaves him there because he thinks he's unsafe to travel with. The boy goes to leave him there to die but at the last minute goes back and starts digging him out.

The boy had given the man a bag with a bunch of money rolls as payment to keep him safe. Near the end of the movie the man and boy have become closer. They are stuck outside at night in the rain and (I think) there are animals lurking around wanting to eat them. The man starts a fire but the rain it too strong so he uses the money to keep it going. The man is injured somehow (I think) and says to the boy something like "there's no use for the money if we're both dead, right?"

That's mainly what i remember but it's been stuff in my head for years. Any help finding out the name of this movie would be greatly appreciated!!!!

knares
Ratings

Re: Name this early 2000's movie

Post by knares »

i might be wrong, cant help you with the name
the boys family were living in Egypt when they were killed.
the boy new he had family in South Africa, so off he went, not knowing how far that was
the man he gave the money to was blinded when some rocks the boy put around the fire exploded
he eventually got to South Africa, took him about a year.
on his way he met up with some sort of rouge who was played be James Cagney, i think

thyron
Ratings

Re: Name this early 2000's movie

Post by thyron »

That is probably not the same movie then, Cagney would not have played in a movie in the 2000s. Maybe a remake?