Gender-swop teen movie from the 80s?

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
Tanakako
Ratings
Your TCI: na

Gender-swop teen movie from the 80s?

Post by Tanakako »

I watched a movie as a kid that stuck with me over the years but I’ve never been able to find it to find the name. I’d like to know what it was so I can stop wondering.

Sypnopsis (as much as I can remember):
Pretty sure it was a teen comedy featuring a blond girl. Possibly in the 80s. She gets into a beauty machine. It gives her options to alter her appearance, make herself pretty, whatever. Instead she chooses the male option, fiddles about with the length of the model’s unmentionables, etc, she makes herself a perfect boyfriend for a laugh. Then there is a power surge or something and the scene cuts to the machine smoking and the guy she had on screen stumbling out of the machine. (S)he knows who he was and freaks out when he sees his reflection. He tries to go home but freaks out again and instead crashes at a friends house. He polishes a picture frame in the top bunk and his mate below obviously misunderstands the squeaking and thinks he is experimenting with his new body part.
There is a basketball scene in there too at some point.
Then, he goes back to his parents house only to see his original female self walk inside. He figures out that he isn’t gender-swopped, but a part of himself. And in order to go back to normal he has to merge with the female half, or they both die. He has to make her believe he is her, and get her back into the machine with him. To persuade her he is telling the truth about being a part of her, he wooes her with everything she wants in a boyfriend. Romantic date, etc. There is a bit with a ‘magic carpet’ at her bedroom widow (a cherry picker and a rug).
After some other stuff I forgot, she finally admits they are the same person and they go back to the machine, fix it, and go inside. There is another small explosion and she steps out. Back to being just one person again and having learned a life lesson or something.

coffee
0 Ratings

Re: Gender-swop teen movie from the 80s?

Post by coffee »

Virtual Sexuality
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164221

This may be the one you're looking for.

Tanakako
Ratings

Re: Gender-swop teen movie from the 80s?

Post by Tanakako »

Wow, I was beginning to think I’d imagined the whole movie. Thanks!!!!