Asian movie undercover cops fight in rain, one chubby cop with boonie/bucket hat

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
dfernand
Ratings
Your TCI: na

Asian movie undercover cops fight in rain, one chubby cop with boonie/bucket hat

Post by dfernand »

Ok this one is driving me crazy, it's an Asian movie, cop movie. I don't know what the nam of the movie or too much about it apart from the ending scene, the cops (or undercover detectives) have casual dress. One of the cops is slightly chubby and wears a 'boonie' or 'bucket' hat (these hats are often worn by spectators of uk sport 'cricket' during the summer to protect their heads from the sun.

The most significant scene is a fight in the rain between one of the cops and the bad guy (the undecover cop doing the fighting could have been the chubby cop with the boonie hat I can't remember); although one thing is that the cop was losing in the fist fight but was using delaying tactics, just waiting for his buddies to turn up to make the arrest.

I believe that the DVD had the "rain" fight on the cover.

I've searched Japanese / Korean / Japanese / Hong Kong movie lists from 2001-2009 and cannot find anything. I wonder if I got the dates right.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Re: Asian movie undercover cops fight in rain, one chubby cop with boonie/bucket hat

Post by iconogassed »

Doesn't sound like one I've seen, but maybe double-check through Sammo Hung's filmography

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Re: Asian movie undercover cops fight in rain, one chubby cop with boonie/bucket hat

Post by VinegarBob »

When I think of chubby Asian actors I think of Eric Tsang...maybe check out his filmography. He's done a lot though, so good luck with that :)

dfernand
Ratings

Post by dfernand »

Well suddenly thinking about it the movie name just entered my head and is called "Nowhere To Hide (1999)'.
Quite shocking since it's been 19 years since I watched the movie or really thought about it.

I was correct regarding the last scene being shot in heavy rain where the good guy (detective) is
fighting the bad guy and losing but he creates so much of a delay that the cops arrive to arrest the bad guy. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eezxXUpHWXg

However, the guy who I originally thought to be 'chubby' being the hero in the last scene (Dective 'Woo' played by Hong Kong actor Joong-Hoon Park) is not 'that' fat in the movie but I would say fatter than he usually is in all his later acting roles and most importantly he is not wearing a 'bucket hat' (aka 'Boonie') in the final fight scene in the movie so I maybe conflating him with some other character in a different asian cop/detective movie. Also there is no means of streaming the full movie and I cannot find many or any stills of the Detective Woo in 'Nowhere To Hide' to see if he's wearing a 'Boonie' / 'Bucket Hat' throught the movie. But I would say all in all 'case solved'; memory is such a weird thing, information: it's all in there !

dfernand
Ratings

Post by dfernand »

Nope I was right about the bucket hat (boonie hat) also aparently. Here is a link of a rare promo still from 'Nowhere To Hide' and the lead i.e. Detective Woo does indeed have a bucket hat !

https://www.flixwatch.co/movies/nowhere-to-hide/

Image only here:
https://imgur.com/a/nRro33G

I remember that the movie ends with Detective Woo wearing his bucket hat giving a big cheesy grin to the camera and it freeze frames there.

Also in the flixwatch.co link above it mentiones TWO detectives hunting down the killer / bad guy so I was right about that also. Damn was it really 19 years ago since I watched this movie. Time flies, better had get moving on with things.