Need the Name of an Obscure 1990s Space Vampire Movie

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
Ripley426
Ratings
Your TCI: na

Need the Name of an Obscure 1990s Space Vampire Movie

Post by Ripley426 »

I've been searching for this movie for years now, every once in a while it pops back into my head and it drives me crazy that I can't find it, because I don't know the name.

I love "Trapped In Space" movies, so I really need to figure out what this movie was. I know this movie was most likely made in the 1990s, probably about 1998 or 1999, but it could have come out as late as 2006. It was sort of low-budget but not terrible, it reminds me a lot of the movie Lifepod (1993) in terms of production quality.

I know the plot featured a small crew of people trapped in a large multi-room spaceship with what I believe were vampires, and the vampires had the same kind of face shape-shifting that occurs in the "From Dusk Till Dawn" movies, when the vampire bite or whatever finally takes hold.

The only scene I remember is of two women who were left alone in a room together hiding while the other crew members searched the ship. They are just sitting together in a dark break room or something, a few chairs not much more, minimal lighting, maybe a few can lights overhead. One of the women was an exotic dancer who had somehow found her way onto the ship. After a short conversation the other woman agrees to receive a striptease/lap dance from the exotic dancer. The scene changes back to the other crew members for a couple of minutes, before switching back to the striptease in progress. It's a mildly erotic scene, but nothing too crazy. At some point in the lap dance, when the stripper is only wearing a thong, she turns into a vampire and attacks the woman she was dancing for. I remember her face and hands changing, and she put her now long-fingered hand over the woman's face and completely covered it, almost smothering her. Her fingers were straight up and she was holding the woman's face kind of like how someone holds a basketball they are palming with an outstretched arm. She might have crushed her skull, I don't remember, probably not. The crew comes back into the room to see she is now a vampire, they get scared and run out of the room and that's all I remember.

It seems like there was a heavy "From Dusk Till Dawn" influence on this movie. It wasn't some cheesy adult film, it was just an unexpected scene in an otherwise decent low-budget sci-fi movie, but I did see it on Cinemax in the late 1990s or early 2000s. From Dusk Till Dawn came out in 1996 so it makes me think this movie was after that, but I can't rule out that this might have come out before it. If anyone knows the name of this movie or can help me find it I would really appreciate it, this has been driving me crazy.

CosmicMonkey
162 Ratings

Re: Need the Name of an Obscure 1990s Space Vampire Movie

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Is it Dracula 3000?

Ripley426
Ratings

Post by Ripley426 »

CosmicMonkey wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Is it Dracula 3000?
No, but that was a good guess. It definitely checked a lot of the boxes. I'm not exactly sure that this movie was about vampires, it could have been a virus/mutation, it just seemed like vampires because after a certain amount of time the infected change, although I guess that works for zombies too. I can't rule out that it was a research lab on a space ship that led to an outbreak on the ship.

Ripley426
Ratings

Post by Ripley426 »

Okay so funny story.

I FOUND THE MOVIE! Starquest 2 (1996).

I was thinking about how one of the women reminded me a lot of the clerk who gets turned into a mannequin in Wishmaster (1997), so I find her imdb page, her name is Gretchen Palmer, and then I find this movie, Starquest 2.

It actually had a pretty respectable cast. Adam Baldwin, even had Robert Englund who was also with her in Wishmaster. It says 1996, same as From Dusk Till Dawn, but I've seen it also listed as 1997 and 1999.

I swear...thinking about some random actress who played a bit part in a horror movie...that has to be the least likely way anyone ever found a movie they were looking for. I'm going to have to watch this now and see how it holds up.

Starquest 2 Movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT8m81I_dzg

julesfmb
263 Ratings

Post by julesfmb »

By the looks of it, might be better to leave this movie in the past as a fond memory. Eh eh