Harmony (2018)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
ikkegoemikke
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Harmony (2018)

Post by ikkegoemikke »

Even in love, there’s fear.
You can’t have one
without the other.

Do you know that feeling when you drive with your bike somewhere, look surprised at a road map and realize you don’t have any idea where you are? Or that time when you were looking at the blackboard in disbelief, while the professor wrote down a mathematical theorem? I had that same surprised, open-mouthed, slightly panicking look when watching “Harmony“. This Australian film (with Australian actors who did their best to hide that well-known accent) is now really the vaguest of all the films I’ve seen so far. Somewhere deep inside there might be something original in it. But it really didn’t want to rise to the surface.

After an hour I still didn’t understand what was going on with Harmony (Jessica Falkholt). And her relationship with Mason (Jerome Meyer) and Jimmy (Eamon Farren) remained a complete mystery to me. The denouement was again kind of obvious. And of course, you get once more such a typical ending that affords room for several follow-up films. Apparently, that’s been the idea all along. They were planning to create a 5-part saga of which this film “Harmony” is the first chapter. Unfortunately, the lead actress Jessica Falkholt died in a car accident before the movie premiered. And preparing follow-up stories without this character may be problematic. Or they are devoting the following four sequels to the other 4 newborns, each of whom has their own specific, special power.

Perhaps that was the most positive thing about the entire film. The gift of Harmony to remove negative feelings and fears from random people sounds rather intriguing. A not so pleasant experience for Harmony. The inherited burden causes both psychological and physical pain. The only way for Harmony to free herself from this burden is to take a shower after which these negative feelings run away like black ink.

How come she’s blessed with this power? Does it have to do with the death of her mother during birth? And what is her motive for wandering through dark streets at night and saving hopelessly lost souls? Who’s the woman who takes care of neglected animals? How does she know that Harmony should use her gift on as many people in need as possible? And does she know the others who also have a certain power? It’s all a bit too vague. I suppose when the sequels are made, it will all become a bit clearer.

Film technically, the film looks flawless. The gray and dark images fit wonderfully with Harmony’s character. Her appearance, a goth-like young girl in black, also reinforces this depressing feeling. Jimmy, the rebellious punk who treats others like dirt, is also such a dark figure. Why he shows an interest in Harmony and at the same time radiates a kind of hate is again vague. Mason, on the other hand, is a real “jump for joy” guy. His colorful outfit and innocent, naive and weird behavior ensure the bright, happy moments. Also here it isn’t clear why Harmony continues to function flawlessly in his presence. Is Mason an insensitive and numb person? Does he go through life without fear or negative feelings? Does he have a mental disorder that makes him appear eccentric? Well, again I haven’t the faintest idea.

Perhaps a few missing puzzle pieces are necessary to understand this idiosyncratic film a bit better. As you’ve read, everything remains fairly vague and incomprehensible. All in all, despite all its vagueness, this film isn’t that bad. The acting is of an acceptable level and the way in which everything was portrayed also has its charms. The film also fits the image of our current society perfectly. A society where fear plays a major role nowadays. And I’m sure that many teenage girls will be enthusiast about the romantic part of the film. On a narrative level, I thought it was inadequate. Too many question marks and blanks. In short, the story itself wasn’t in harmony with the rest.

More reviews here