Ad Astra (2019)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
ikkegoemikke
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Ad Astra (2019)

Post by ikkegoemikke »

[i]Colonel, for what it means,
I think my father is dead.[/i]

[img]https://i2.wp.com/movie-freak.be/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Ad-Astra-2019-Banner.jpg?w=734[/img]

I can fully understand that when you haven’t heard from a friend who lives a few blocks away for a long time, you get prepped and plan a visit to the person in question. Just like that. Just to find out why he or she hasn’t been in touch all this time. And to check whether everything is still alright. In most cases, you’re actually not going to experience anything exciting or breathtaking along the way. Now, extrapolate this situation to a much greater distance. From Earth to Neptune, for example. That’s an enormously long time that you are on the road. And if you’re lucky, you won’t come across any life-threatening or perilous situations either. In short, you are on a spaceship, feeling at ease and try to kill some time. Maintaining your ecosystem daily. Going through your huge pile of magazines full of crosswords that need to be solved. Or you give your spaceship a decent scrubbing every week. All sorts of things so as not to get mad out of boredom. I’m afraid that many home viewers will do the same things while watching “[i]Ad Astra[/i]“.

Claiming that there’s really nothing happening in “[i]Ad Astra[/i]” is, of course, a bit exaggerated. For example, there are space pirates on the moon targeting the convoy, with [b]Brad Pitt[/b] among the travelers. Apparently, building a high-tech space station on the moon is a piece of cake. But a solid defense system to throw naughty space pirates back into the infinite galaxy (far, far away) was apparently too much to ask. Next, there’s also a run-in with a crazy primate on a space ship in distress. And the end of the film is also provided with some fragments that are more action-rich. But most of this two-hour-long SF is nevertheless filled with a lot of complaining, staring at an undefined point and moments of self-reflection. To be honest, I’d call it a demonstration of navel-gazing among the stars.

I confess. I expected something completely different. Let me put it this way. I would have preferred “[i]Ad Astra[/i]” to be more in the corner of films such as “[url=http://movie-freak.be/2015/02/interstellar-2014/]Interstellar[/url]” or “[url=http://movie-freak.be/2014/01/gravity-2013/]Gravity[/url]” (although I wasn’t a big fan of the latter). The first is a more scientifically oriented SF about black holes and dimensions and whatnot. While “[i]Gravity[/i]” wanted to be the most populistic one. And this by having George Clooney and Sandra Bullock make a round dance in space. I link “[i]Ad Astra[/i]” to a movie like “[url=http://movie-freak.be/2019/07/high-life-2018/]High Life[/url]“. This was also such a film where the aspect of human psychology and conflict situations between individuals took center stage. And just like the other listed movies, there are some amazing visual highlights in this movie. Those images of space looked impressive on the large silver screen despite their minimalistic character at certain moments. But then again, I wasn’t waiting for a story about an intergalactic father-son relationship with all its ups and downs.

The most impressive thing about the film? The acting by [b]Brad Pitt[/b]. The way he plays the astronaut Roy McBride is simply stunning. An autistic character whose numbness and phlegmatic nature make him a suitable candidate for carrying out such an expedition. The way he performs the psychological evaluation tests bears witness to total body control and lack of emotions. Roy McBride is a person whose heart rate never exceeds 80 beats per minute. Not even in a life-threatening situation when he tumbles out of the atmosphere. And the way he shows how emotions slowly seep into his system is simply admirable. After “[i]Once upon a time … in Hollywood[/i]” this is also a rendition with which he could receive a well-known award. They also managed to bait star actors such as [b]Liv Tyler[/b], [b]Donald Sutherland[/b], and [b]Tommy Lee Jones[/b]. The roles of the first two, however, have little to no impact.

“[i]Ad Astra[/i]” is not an epic space story full of sensational space battles or creatively worked out aliens. Apart from some sporadically added action-rich scenes, this is a film full of philosophical musings and impressions of weighty loneliness. I fear that the opinions about “[i]Ad Astra[/i]” will be divided. Some will regard it as the most moving film of the year. In general, the Film Press has words of praise for it. So trust me, it’s a film that will be loved by the connoisseurs of the “better” film. Others are more likely to call it plain boring. The message about the loss of a parent and the search for that parent is kind of obvious. There’s even a theological theme to discern. The result, however, is an end-product that looks long-winded with a denouement which isn’t really satisfying. Well, I’m sure that an Oscar nomination will be in place next year. But for me, it remains an honorable mention.

More reviews [url=http://bit.ly/2qtGQoc]here[/url]