Prey (2022)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
hotsake
179 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Prey (2022)

Post by hotsake »

I can overlook the mostly iffy CGI and I can admit that this was one of the better Predator films out there, not that that's saying much. However, this has two of my least favorite tropes, or if not tropes then film script tendencies, The first is altering history/putting contemporary politics or issues in a historical setting and acting like it was a fact. Secondly, it is the YA's heavy use of putting a young adult, whether male or female, as the untried, untrained all-knowing, infallible, savior. The other gripe I have with the film is how inconsistent the characters' skills are both the protagonists and the antagonists. Seeing Naru be able to defeat the slightly underwhelming Predator was almost as laughable as seeing Danny Glover do it. I had some fun with this but I really had to shut my brain off and suspend my disbelief more than usual. The dialogue felt like it was written for a YA novel and the Predator design sucked ass and made zero sense, They didn't wear the faceplates for fun or as warrior masks but as a breathing apparatus-like piece of equipment. Its hands and feet didn't look right either.