Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (1978)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
hotsake
179 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (1978)

Post by hotsake »

Yet another Shaw Brothers film that starts with a story catch-up at the beginning. Ridiculous melodrama this felt like a kung fu soap opera and not in a good way. The acting, sets, costumes, direction, music, fights, and framing, everything seemed like it was made for a stage play. These were the types of Shaw Brother films I was first introduced to and the main reason I preferred Golden Harvest. I have slowly started to watch more Shaw films and I like quite a few but these ones I am still bored by these ones.

julesfmb
263 Ratings

Re: Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (1978)

Post by julesfmb »

That's too harsh. It's an average Yuen Chor fantasy. If you didn't like it, better avoid his other movies. Or any fantasy wuxia from Shaw Bros.

hotsake
179 Ratings

Re: Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (1978)

Post by hotsake »

I don't think I'm being too harsh at all, if you enjoyed it that's fine. "an average Yuen Chor fantasy" just means that most likely I won't like a lot of his stuff which is fine. I have seen 21 of his films and found 8 that I liked, and only 1 (this movie) that I didn't like, the rest were mediocre. But, maybe I'll find that rare gem from him, The Duel of the Century, The Lizard, and Bat Without Wings being my favorites so far. Also, My plan is to watch every Shaw Brothers film I can find, and for the most part, I've been enjoying them.