OSCAR WINNERS | 81st Annual Academy Awards

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

OSCAR WINNERS | 81st Annual Academy Awards

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Best Motion Picture of the Year: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn for Milk

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Kate Winslet for The Reader

Best Directing: Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year: Okuribito (Japan)

Best Original Song: Slumdog Millionaire ("Jai Ho")

Best Original Score: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Editing: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Sound: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Sound Editing: The Dark Knight

Best Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Documentary, Short Subjects: Smile Pinki

Best Documentary, Features: Man on Wire

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight

Best Short Film, Live Action: Spielzeugland

Best Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Costume Design: The Duchess

Best Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Short Film, Animated: La Maison en petits cubes

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year: WALL·E

Best Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Screenplay: Milk

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Slumdog Millionaire: 8

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 3

Milk: 2

The Dark Knight: 2
Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Re: OSCAR WINNERS | 81st Annual Academy Awards

Post by Pickpocket »

Goddamn 2008 was a shitty year for movies. And how is Milk an original screenplay?

Filligan
204 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

Pretty good stuff. I have no real complaints. Highlight for me was Penn winning.

frederic_g54
0 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Predictable, anyone ? My biggest upsets were of course Rourke not winning, Winslet winning, (and foreign language film, but that's a SMALL upset , since I haven’t seen that other film, I just liked “The Class” a lot)

back to Rourke... Has Hollywood become blind ? Why have they ceased acknowledging talent (let's just say, the ones who deserve it), there were so many snubs in the last 81 years, why have they become a “bunch of commie, homo-loving son of a guns” like Penn so eloquently put it (jeesh, even he didn’t think he deserved it). The entire night was great, but when Penn won, something snapped, ooh thx Hollywood, you support "prop 8", we get it (don't worry, I think Slumdog deserved best pic, although pics like The Wrestler or The Dark Knight were more deserving and should've been nominated)

For those of you who think I hate Penn, I don't, he was amazing in his role, and it was nice of him to give a shout out to Rourke at the end (“He rises again” or smt) but in the end it's an award show, so give it to the one who deserves it. Don't build up your own image. Not sure I wanna see it next year...

what are your thoughts ?
Last edited by frederic_g54 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Filligan
204 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

Last I checked, films and performances are subjective. And you ask why "Hollywood" stopped acknowledging talent, then said Penn was amazing in his role. Let's face it, this was Penn's best work as an actor by miles. I didn't even much care for the man, his win in '03, or most of the films he's directed that I've seen before this, but the man transformed into Harvey Milk. He deserved it.

theficionado
0 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

I celebrated by renting Notorious and The Third Man.

On a happy note, I did correctly pick all five major category winners, so I'm in the running for a year's worth of free movie passes at a local theater. Then again, they were so predictable this year that I imagine I still have some competition.

frederic_g54
0 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Filligan wrote:but the man transformed into Harvey Milk. He deserved it.

Like I said he was amazing, but I felt they voted for Penn because of the message the film was carrying. Rourke deserved to win IMO (the man also transformed into "Randy The Ram"...), not because of the comeback story, but because it was the better performance, but that's me...

he should've played a gay wrestler... (kiddin' :p )

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I honestly never cared for the Oscars, but I had nothing last to do last night so I watched some bits. I really don't get how people enjoy the ceremony, but anyway.
I had no idea Herzog was nominated, but it's a shame he didn't win. I don't ever care about awards at all, but Herzog deserves some recognition.
And I wanted 'Waltz With Bashir' to win, for two reasons:

A) Well, I can't deny that being my second nationality Israel, you sort of end up wanting it to win.
B) Despite that, anyway, 'Waltz With Bashir' is truly a great, mindblowing film.

But, well, it didn't. I'll have to read Slumdog Millionare now, I guess.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Filligan wrote:Last I checked, films and performances are subjective. And you ask why "Hollywood" stopped acknowledging talent, then said Penn was amazing in his role. Let's face it, this was Penn's best work as an actor by miles. I didn't even much care for the man, his win in '03, or most of the films he's directed that I've seen before this, but the man transformed into Harvey Milk. He deserved it.

Obviously you aren't familiar with Penn's work. It was a good performance but not nearly his best. The Penn win was def a direct response to prop 8. Hollywood is so progressive!!

Filligan
204 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

Pickpocket wrote:
Filligan wrote:Last I checked, films and performances are subjective. And you ask why "Hollywood" stopped acknowledging talent, then said Penn was amazing in his role. Let's face it, this was Penn's best work as an actor by miles. I didn't even much care for the man, his win in '03, or most of the films he's directed that I've seen before this, but the man transformed into Harvey Milk. He deserved it.

Obviously you aren't familiar with Penn's work. It was a good performance but not nearly his best. The Penn win was def a direct response to prop 8. Hollywood is so progressive!!

Boy, I sure hope that was being ironic. Otherwise... :|