How often do you write Mini-Reviews?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
TheDenizen
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How often do you write Mini-Reviews?

Post by TheDenizen »

I'm curious to know the reviewing habits of some of the regular posters on the forums here.

Over the past 18 months or so, I have submitted a mini-review for almost every film I've rated...there were only a handful of exclusions I can think of from a few hundred ratings. Some are just a few words, but most are at least a few sentences. Previous to that I only wrote occasional reviews.

Gradually I have been going back and trying to fill in mini-reviews for as many films as I can. There are a bunch I don't remember many specifics about so I doubt I'll ever get to the point where 100% of my rated films have a mini-review. But I'm trying to get to the point where if I look at the profile page for any of my personal fave actors/directors, there's a mini-review for each of their films I've seen.

Looking over all my rankings pages with the mini-review indicator on, it looks to me at a rough estimation like I've got mini-reviews on somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of all my ranked films, probably around 1,000 given my current 1855 films ranked.

Still a ways to go but I'm interested to know how frequently you guys (and gals) post mini-reviews with your rankings. :)

tef
0 Ratings

Re: How often do you write Mini-Reviews?

Post by tef »

I don't know how to filter it out to get an accurate number, but I tend to mini-review any film where there aren't a lot of reviews already, or a film that inspires me to say something. I'd say 30-40% do that. But I tend to have things to say about everything. ;/

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I've mostly only written mini-reviews for the new films I have seen since signing up for Criticker, all within a minute to a day within watching them.

I guess maybe I should go back and write a few mini-reviews for the other ones, though.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

tef wrote:I don't know how to filter it out to get an accurate number, but I tend to mini-review any film where there aren't a lot of reviews already, or a film that inspires me to say something. I'd say 30-40% do that.

Yeah, this was the same thing that got me into writing more frequent reviews. I was watching a bunch of lesser known movies at the time, so there'd only be one or two ratings and no reviews on their page. I felt obligated to fill in that box. :P There's plenty of films on Criticker where my review is the only one, and even a bunch where my rating is the only one... :)

When I first joined and was rating piles of films at a time, writing reviews for them all seemed impossible. Later, it just seemed pointless to write them for more popular films that already had dozens and dozens of reviews. Now I have remorse :|

ShogunRua wrote:I've mostly only written mini-reviews for the new films I have seen since signing up for Criticker, all within a minute to a day within watching them.

heh, I always have Criticker open in one tab on my PC. Usually sitting on the page of the film I plan to watch next so I can rate/review it ASAP after viewing :P

I think watching a movie knowing that I'm going to be writing a review of it forces me to pay close attention to the whole thing, and not just watch it passively. I suppose you could argue that having a consciously critical eye might decrease your enjoyment and ability to be carried along by the story, but I think it's helped me appreciate a lot bigger variety of films.

SirStuckey
45 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

a) I either watch a movie for the first time or watch the majority of a movie I've already seen since joining. Usually within a day of watching it.

b) I make smartass reviews for the movies I really hated that I really don't want to see again.

I've only reviewed 296 thusfar, and I've obviously seen more movies than that. I have probably rated every movie I've seen on IMDB so I could easily transfer most of those ratings to here...I'm just really lazy.

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

I've tried to write a review for every recent film I've seen. Still probably a minority of my total reviews, but I'm being slow on doing the rest.

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Probably 95-98% say something

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

i write a mini-review for every movie i rate, excluding my first few months here. every so often i go back through the ones i haven't written a review for and either write one or delete my rating. i figure if i cant remember it enough to say something meaningful about it, then my score is probably inaccurate anyway.

miss jesus
0 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

Exact same situation as you, Denizen, except I'm nowhere near up to your ratio on older stuff.

I'd like to be able to pick a movie that isn't reviewed and write a good review for it out of the blue, but my memory kind of sucks. I find it's a lot easier to just wait until I rewatch said movie and then do it. Seems like I will remember something about the performances and something about the plot, and not nearly enough to write a decent review.

Magb
0 Ratings

Post by Magb »

I decided early on to write a mini review for 100% of the films I've ranked, and I believe I've done so. Which frankly turned out to be a pretty dumb idea, since my mini reviews of films I haven't seen since I was a kid tend not to be very interesting, accurate or meaningful.