Notable missing directors

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
prowler
10 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Notable missing directors

Post by prowler »

a bit disappointed to see my two favourites, dreyer and cassavetes, in so many lists.

then again i have plenty of omissions as well, most notably:

ozu, s. ray (may fix that tomorrow actually), peckinpah, john ford, sirk, bogdanovich, bela tarr and more. i won't even mention the more obscure ones, such as all of FFD's list :)

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

edkrak wrote:Chabrol (done: Alice ou la dernière fugue + more DVDs on the way)

Just out of interest, how did you come to watch this film? It's one of my favourite Chabrols but also a relatively obscure one. And did you like it?

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Unfortunately there is no english friendly DVD release, but one of Karagarga members made fansubs for it and now you can find it at good film sharing sites. I really like this surreal and mysterious touch, but there was something lacking there. I think it should be a little more intense, we should better feel Alice's anxiety, maybe they should show few minutes of [spoiler]Alice visiting hell at the end[/spoiler]. Still a good film, but could have been better.
And BTW I find out about this film, because of your review, so thanks for that, because despite my regards I'm glad I saw it.

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

Hehehe, those KG fansubs were made by me (one of my first ever, if I recall)! That was the reason I was curious about where you watched it :mrgreen:

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

astrakhan wrote:Hehehe, those KG fansubs were made by me (one of my first ever, if I recall)! That was the reason I was curious about where you watched it :mrgreen:

I had no idea it was you. Good job :!:

Neonman
0 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

Alejandro Jodorowsky
Gillian Armstrong
Jean Renoir
Billy Wilder
Claire Denis
Atom Egoyan
Pedro Almodovar
Theo Angelopoulos
Eric Rohmer
Abbas Kiarostrami

I'm sure there are many other directors out there who I've never heard of, but these are the ones I'm keen on seeing some work from.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Jodorowsky and Bergman are probably the two best known/acclaimed directors I can think of that I've seen nothing by. Add Truffaut to that as well.

That being said, there have been many directors listed in this thread that I've never heard of. :P

Also, shame on anyone who hasn't watched some Jesus Franco. Who doesn't love softcore sex flicks with tons of frontal nudity, long focus pulls and not much else? Honestly, I mostly only watch Franco movies because I have a full on, borderline unhealthy, infatuation with Lina Romay, who had prominent roles in most of his films. :)

Oh and ShogunRua, no Fulci, Peckinpah, Ford OR Ferarra? That needs to be remedied, good sir.

Mentaculus
105 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

My list of obscurities, in priority order:

ABEL GANCE
Josef von Sternberg
Jacques Tati :?
Alain Resnais
Preston Sturges
Victor Sjöström
Bela Tarr
Aki Kaurismäki
Abbas Kiarostami
Krzysztof Kieslowski
Eric Rohmer
Yoshishige Yoshida
Alexander Dovzhenko
Chantal Akerman
Theo Angelopoulos
Ritwik Ghatak
Victor Sjöström
Claire Denis
Luis García Berlanga
Manoel de Oliveira
Jane Campion
David Gordon Green
Apichatpong Weerasethakul

I have a laserdisc of Gance's Napoleon just staring at me every time I walk through my front door... I should probably just buckle down and watch it. Also, everyone should add Jeff Keen to their list. Just saying. ;)

theficionado
0 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

I have to say I like this thread a lot. Blind spots do tell a lot about where your priorities lie, and I think these list of filmmakers that you haven't seen are much more distinct than the ones if we'd just tallied our favorite directors.

Every time I see someone's written down Claire Denis or Weerasethakul or Cronenberg or Almodovar or Altman or Ki-duk Kim or Assayas or Sokurov or David Gordon Green or Leone or Tati or Malick or Resnais or Kiyoshi Kurosawa, I want to evince astonishment. But then I remember my own shameful list. At least we're all trying. And I don't know about everyone else, but I'm certainly open to suggestions as to works that best represent the ones I'm missing.

Anyway, others I'd forgotten:

Jodorowsky
Kon Ichikawa
Abel Ferrera
Zhang Ke Jia
Elia Kazan
Harmony Korine
Gaspar Noé
the Maysles brothers
Frederick Wiseman

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

So, how your lists look today after ~1year?
I still have 32 left on the list:
Rivette, Imamura, Hideo Gosha, Jancsó, Tarr, Cavani, Malle, Russ Meyer, Cocteau, Corman, Jean Renoir, Hawks, Tati, Powell & Pressburger, Lina Wertmüller, Tony Richardson, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Schlesinger, Ray, Rossellini, Ophuls, Lubitsch, Naruse, Bogdanovich, Mankiewicz, Kazan, Walsh, Otto Preminger, Carne, Buster Keaton, Victor Sjöström, Eisenstein

I wasn't really focusing on clearing this list so only 13 directors got crossed from mine:
T10
1. Welles - Citizen Kane (95)
2. Blier - Calmos (90)
Altman - 3 Women (90)
T9
4.Kaneto Shindo - Onibaba (85)
T8
5. Malick - Tree of Life (80)
David Gordon Green - Pineapple Express (80)
7. Chabrol - Alice ou la dernière fugue (75)
Kihachi Okamoto - The Sword of Doom (75)
T7
9. Cassavetes - Woman Under the Influence (70)
Ichikawa - Burmese Harp (70)
T6
11. Lindsay Anderson - If.... (65)
T4
12. Seijun Suzuki - Tokyo Drifter (55)
T2
13. John Ford - The Searchers (25)

Generally I'm satisfied with my choices - 13 films and 10 at least good, 2 little dissapointments and 1 really shitty. I guess I should focus more on completing my list.