Canvassing opinions on TV series

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Canvassing opinions on TV series

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Melkor wrote:... watch Soderbergh's riveting and stylish new tv show

That does look interesting, I'll have to wait for it to get over here though.

With all of these glossy box-set tv thingies I wish the networks would make all the pilots free online, try before we buy-wise without arseing around with torrents, we'd all be winners no?

TV-wise atm I'm watching the honourable woman and utopia s2, liking them both so far

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Melkor wrote:I did watch Utopia...

s2's in many ways more of the same but even-slicker -suffers from that 'shrinking universe' thing where they refer back too much -always hate that- like the Boba Fett fanservice stuff in the SW prequels, spiral out writers, spiral Out.

Melkor wrote:... Rectify...
I think you will like Fargo very much. Give it a go.

I think sundance and the bbc have some sort of arrangement, I'll keep an eye out for Rectify.

Missed the beginning of Fargo, it's airing now. I should catch an episode and see if it goes on the box-set someday list.

Just remembered I watched -and enjoyed- the first season of In Treatment back when I had good internets. Anyone know if the others are as good?

AFlickering
287 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

bumping this 'cause i'm watching lots of tv recently.

Ag0stoMesmer wrote:Just remembered I watched -and enjoyed- the first season of In Treatment back when I had good internets. Anyone know if the others are as good?

each season is worse than the previous, so it depends how much you liked the first. i find it pretty addictive regardless of its flaws though, that format (for those who don't know, each episode is a psychiatry session either between gabriel byrne and one of his various patients or gabriel byrne and his own psychiatrist) + that acting (career best performances from mia wasikowska ESPECIALLY, alison pill, dale dehaan, melissa george, hope davis, john mahoney, etc) was enough to keep me watching. one of those shows that probably should've ended after the first series if i'm being objective, but i sorta wish it had ten.

i really wanna see THE KNICK, looks great. just started RECTIFY myself, hoping it can ease me down off THE WIRE withdrawal.

Ag0stoMesmer
354 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

AFlickering wrote:{In Treatment]
each season is worse than the previous... but i sorta wish it had ten.

Thanks, I liked it enough that I think I can handle two series of diminishing returns. I could really go some dialogue-driven drama, UK tv's really crap atm.

karamazov.
51 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

AFlickering
287 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

karamazov.
51 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

Yeah. Badalamenti had fucking better be on board the tp train too, I suhwear to god...

Also, some are saying Lynch might shoot film again. As much as I ❤ "Inland Empire," that would still be pretty awesome to hear.

TBW
0 Ratings

Post by TBW »

Interesting. Perhaps I'm wasting my time looking for movie recommendations from people of similar taste on this site? :-) I say that because I looked through 20 or 30 of the responses and didn't see even listed. Many of the series that are listed I've never seen. I guess I don't really watch that much TV. So...

1) Lost. By far my favorite series ever, especially the first two seasons. I would often watch this show "live" and put up with commercials because I couldn't wait to see what they came up with next.

2) Well, I can't really put anything clearly into second. Things I've liked that I can remember:

Downton Abbey - very very good. This is probably the clear #2 for me, that I can think of anyway
Game of Thrones - season 1 & 2, kind of lost me after that
The Killing - first series of episodes (season?), then it completely lost me
Elementary - For things currently on TV, this one is usually pretty watchable

Notes on other series I've tried to watch
Walking Dead - my daughter got me to try this, couldn't take anymore of the same thing after 4 or 5 episodes
Mad Men - my wife loved this. Pretty much bored me to death, and I didn't care what happened to any character
Scandal - another one my wife watches. I think it's awful.
How To Get Away With Murder - even worse than Scandal

I really have no interest in spending time to watch anything that glorifies or otherwise primarily focuses on the scum of the earth. So The Sopranos didn't do it for me and I'll never even try Breaking Bad, even if everyone else says it's the greatest thing ever created. I somehow think I can live without that one.