Predicting people's mood after watching a movie. Need help:)

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Quicky
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Predicting people's mood after watching a movie. Need help:)

Post by Quicky »

Hey guys,

It's been a few years since I posted on this board. I still regularly rate movies on my second account though (QuickyAPI).

Criticker for me was what triggered my endeavours into building my own recommendation engines and my interest in mathematical algorithms in general. Some of you may remember I once built a QMDB Recommendations system that I used to generate recommendations for several people on these boards. And now it turns out I'm graduating on related stuff :).

In either case, in my graduation research, I'm investigating whether it is possible to predict people's mood after watching a movie. And for this I need your help, as I need people to submit their mood to me (anonymously) right before and right after watching a movie. It only takes 1 or 2 minutes on your pc or mobile phone.

So next time you watch a movie you you were recommended by Criticker or some other movie, please take a minute to help me out. You can do this for as many movies as you like (more = better). If you submit your mood before you watch a movie, don't forget to post your mood afterwards as well though! I'm particularly interested in mood changes.

For more information and to participate, go to http://inthemood.tv, or find/like us (well, my project) on Facebook.

Thanks!

P.S.: I'm giving away 10 cinema tickets to random people helping me out (Belgium and the Netherlands only, unfortunately).

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Re: Predicting people's mood after watching a movie. Need he

Post by paulofilmo »

Hello Quicky,

It borked!

Also, my feeling after Anatolia was very much
Image.

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Ouch, when did you get that error? Yesterday I'm assuming? Weird... haven't seen this happen since the last version from a week ago. Does it happen every time you try to submit something? Can you try again with a garbage title (so I know it's a test).

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Worked OK with the garbage title.

Some weird text, though:

Success!

Enjoy the movie and please come back when you're done to submit your mood again. The data is only useful if I can compare before and after.

If anybody else used this phone to submit his mood
, you'll need to remember your confirmation code. If not your browser will remember it for you.

Confirmation code: PaulofilmoTes

That's fine asparagus.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I tried once more with I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (2006). No bueno.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

I just made an entry with Jesse Stone.

I have to say, dragging those faces is weird....

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

Thanks td888! I saw the new entry in the database a few minutes ago :).

Weird as in "it keeps doing stuff I don't want it to do"? Or as in "it's weird using a smiley to interpret my mood"?

I have noticed that the smiley for a lot of people seems more intuitive when you use a cursor (like on your pc or laptop). When people see it for the first time on a touchscreen (like their tablet or mobile phone), they seem to try to 'mould' different parts of the smiley or do swiping gestures like you would do on a mobile phone if you're scrolling up or down.

It's best if you slowly move your finger around in the box with the smiley, exploring every side and corner to get a feel for which areas convey which emotions/moods.

As for paulofilmo... I think I fixed it. Apparently there was a problem when the title contained quotes (as in I'm a Cyborg and That's OK, which contains two quotes). I'm not sure what the problem with Anatolia was since that doesn't seem to contain any quotes? Anyway... quotes are escaped now, so it worked fine for me with I'm a Cyborg and That's OK. Sorry for the trouble, and I hope you try again :).

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Just watched another Jesse Stone film.

It's this one: "it's weird using a smiley to interpret my mood".

I rather choose something from a list (in addition to the smiley?).

I'll try to remember your site when I watch the other movies.

Good luck with your experiment(?).

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

td888 wrote:It's this one: "it's weird using a smiley to interpret my mood".
I rather choose something from a list (in addition to the smiley?).

Ah ok. To be honest, that's the option I'm least concerned about. I didn't invent this 'smiley' thing myself. It's a validated tool to assess "affective state" (or in layman's term: emotion). And for my project its main advantage is that it can be more fine-grained than if people choose something from a list, without making it time-consuming.

td888 wrote:Just watched another Jesse Stone film.
I'll try to remember your site when I watch the other movies.
Good luck with your experiment(?).

Great, and thanks! :)

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Sorry, less than an hour passed since you submitted your mood. Please wait to submit your mood until you saw the whole movie.

Ah, I was remembering my mood. Naughty, probably. I'll wait till I watch something on my laptop.

If you're willing to talk more about the project, then please do.