Letterboxd

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Neonman
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Letterboxd

Post by Neonman »

I've been hearing about this site more and more recently and was thinking about getting a profile on it. Does anyone here use it? Is it superior to Criticker?

MustUnsee
0 Ratings

Re: Letterboxd

Post by MustUnsee »

This post has been deleted by the moderator staff.

filmfreak88
0 Ratings

Post by filmfreak88 »

I have just recently created an account with letterboxd. Unfortunately, I can't be a reliable source of information regarding whether it's worth it coz I haven't used it much. I do have to praise its beautiful design and layout. Personally, I still prefer Criticker. I simply don't have time to read lengthy reviews. That's why the mini-reviews in Criticker really works for me. Letterboxd is kinda like twitter in the sense that you have to follow other users and gather your own followers which I find quite tedious. Though, I know some would prefer this more interactive style.

edkrak
132 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Do I get it right? You have to pay 19$ to import your rankings from imdb/csv file? No, thanks.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

edkrak wrote:Do I get it right? You have to pay 19$ to import your rankings from imdb/csv file? No, thanks.

That makes toast out of me. I mean, the very IDEA. :o

3dRevelation
0 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

I actually have an account, and have had one for some time. I use both Letterboxd and Criticker though. Criticker has much more stats available than Letterboxd (unless I'm unaware of some features of the site or if you have to pay which I do not), and by stats I mean it's much easier to sort my rankings by year, filmmaker, etc. and to look at things like my top viewed actors, directors and things. Plus, Criticker also has a forum. Letterboxd discussions are done solely through comments on lists or reviews. Plus, Critickers has the PSI and recommendation system. I know nothing about paying to import rankings, I haven't done it and didn't need to, but I realize I haven't seen the sheer volume of films others have.

Overall, I would say you won't be gaining much by using either Criticker or Letterboxd exclusively. They both have their benefits I guess. The list feature is nice (its kind of like Criticker's collections, but they can be commented on as well as have comments in notes about the films on the list). The lists are sometimes used as polls to rank user's favorite films in certain genres and other things (I think recently someone posted a list soliciting votes on awards for 2013 films). The diary feature is nice and is pretty much just an expanded recent rankings section on Criticker in that you can look at all the films you have watched on certain dates. I would also say that Letterboxd seems like it has more member participation (I'm not sure if it has more members than Criticker, but it seems like there is more activity on Letterboxd). This is probably a bad generalization, but I think Letterboxd members are more mainstream. I'm also usually surprised by how many high schoolers belong to Letterboxd and how many films/ the type of films they've seen at such a young age, when I was still watching shit films at the same age.

Here's a link to one of my lists in case you want to see what it's like: http://letterboxd.com/3rdrevelation/list/youtube-collection/

Sorry for the breadth of my response. To answer your question succinctly: no Letterboxd is not superior to Criticker. I would never solely use Letterboxd and get rid of Criticker. I just find it useful as another place to discuss film with different people.

3dRevelation
0 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

I should also add as a negative of Letterboxd that it sometimes becomes immature. It's entertainment to a certain point, but sometimes it just gets tiresome. Because Letterboxd uses a like system (not much different than facebook), the people who tend to have the most followers and might not always produce the best reviews can get a bunch of likes. I think some people get jealous, and are angry at the popularity contest kind of thing that happens sometimes.

I guess it wouldn't be all that uncommon to see a review like:

"Insert movie quote here"

and then see like 100 likes underneath it, while a more thoughtful, longer review would have a fraction of that number.

It doesn't bother me much, but it gets under the skin of some (apparently this includes people on 4chan who I think at some point created threads just about Letterboxd to bitch about some of the people on the site). Once again though, I pretty much stay away from all this except to grab my popcorn and laugh.

thehynes
0 Ratings

Post by thehynes »

nah, Criticker is better and err,you need to have some friends for Letterboxd ;)

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

fakesenator wrote:This post has been deleted by the moderator staff.

First time I'm seeing this, wonder what he said :shock:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

bercutio wrote:
fakesenator wrote:This post has been deleted by the moderator staff.

First time I'm seeing this, wonder what he said :shock:

It's a joke. No one deleted/modded anything.