Hollywood's Crap Music Rut

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Hollywood's Crap Music Rut

Post by ShogunRua »

Bojangles wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:I'm skeptical that using this popular music will cause people to focus on and remember the trailer more. Like, has this ever been researched? If so, it would be fascinating to read.

I read about the basic idea in Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. According to the book, people will listen to a song for much longer if it's familiar to them, even if they claim that they hate it. idk if that translates to people paying more attention to trailers, I just sort of theorized that part.

These books, with fuzzy pseudo-philosophical, non-quantitative arguments, are exactly the "conventional wisdom" I'm talking about. Of course people will tend to listen to a familiar song longer than they would an unfamiliar one. That's common sense.

But that doesn't necessarily translate to "they will be more interested in a movie trailer if a familiar song is used while it's playing". Just like if you're watching a sporting event, you won't necessarily like it more if all the game audio is replaced with that of a famous song.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Bojangles wrote:
Stewball wrote:It's not just the commercial stuff and it isn't just Hollywood. Current music is so barren there's nothing new worth a damn in movies, Broadway (their most popular stuff is rehashes), or the radio.

The democratization/digitization of music has made quality shit more difficult to find. I've given up even trying to find it anymore. My hit rate with finding quality music gets higher the closer I get to stuff released in 1970. Even unknown/unsuccessful stuff sounds better than your average shit released today. Find those old hidden gems bruh. Get Tarantino in this bitch.

That's what I've been doin', but they're getting harder and harder to find. It's odd that the best stuff wasn't that popular, hmmmm, or maybe they just beat the popular stuff till they're a bloody pulp.

Bojangles
0 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

ShogunRua wrote:These books, with fuzzy pseudo-philosophical, non-quantitative arguments, are exactly the "conventional wisdom" I'm talking about. Of course people will tend to listen to a familiar song longer than they would an unfamiliar one. That's common sense.

I'm not a scientist, and I don't have the stomach for it. The only scientific papers I've read, I read them to complete academic degrees. But I try my best to think logically and to be reasonable. I don't really know if the book deals in non-quantitative arguments or not because I rarely check the footnotes to the books I read, unless it interests me highly. There's only 24 hours in a day, you know?

ShogunRua wrote:But that doesn't necessarily translate to "they will be more interested in a movie trailer if a familiar song is used while it's playing". Just like if you're watching a sporting event, you won't necessarily like it more if all the game audio is replaced with that of a famous song.

idk if that's a good analogy. I doubt a popular song could sustain interest for a three hour NFL game. Even Jack Buck's son do a better job than Maroon Five. But trailers are roughly 2 minutes, not 160. If you put some rube that no one has ever heard of on the play by play, I bet lots of folks would tune out...

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Bojangles wrote:idk if that's a good analogy. I doubt a popular song could sustain interest for a three hour NFL game. Even Jack Buck's son do a better job than Maroon Five. But trailers are roughly 2 minutes, not 160. If you put some rube that no one has ever heard of on the play by play, I bet lots of folks would tune out...

Or they might focus more on the images and sound that are a part of the movie itself without the distracting noise, and have a greater likelihood of going to the theater and buying a ticket. Or they might hate that "popular song", since a track need only appeal to a minority in order to attain popularity, of which they don't belong to. (For instance, a song liked by 20% of those that hear it and hated by the other 80% would be a massive hit) All of those scenarios are possible.

Without a well-constructed study, it's impossible to tell.