Criticker MOM - October 2014

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Bojangles
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker MOM - October 2014

Post by Bojangles »

What's your Goodreads? I remember that you like Catcher in the Rye, and I do too. Maybe I can find some other titles from you.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Sorry, work was nuts. I will be more active with November.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Bojangles wrote:What's your Goodreads? I remember that you like Catcher in the Rye, and I do too. Maybe I can find some other titles from you.

Sure; https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6212215-vlad. Do you have one, too?

Bojangles
0 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

yeah, https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2675564-kitchener , I don't use it so much though. I hate having to sift through the awful ego-based reviews about 'how I found out about the book, the story of going to the book store to buy it, my hilarious musings on the cover art', etc etc. Plus the unique little snowflakes who think they're special for inarticulately trashing a classic. Amazon user reviews get the point and are much better. But Goodreads is fun to browse around, so whatever.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Bojangles wrote:yeah, https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2675564-kitchener , I don't use it so much though. I hate having to sift through the awful ego-based reviews about 'how I found out about the book, the story of going to the book store to buy it, my hilarious musings on the cover art', etc etc. Plus the unique little snowflakes who think they're special for inarticulately trashing a classic.

That's not even the worst. There are those who "review" a book solely through gif images and those who don't review the book at all, but write an angry rant about the author for a sociopolitical view (for instance, multiple reviews on "Ender's Game" are 1-star screeds about Orson Scott Card being against gay marriage) or review the FILM adaptation instead of the actual book. (One of the site's most popular reviewers writes about the Connery film Dr. No and admits to never having read Fleming's book at all)

The Goodreads admin is completely fine with all this. I hate the site as a whole (there are some cool individual members, though), but use it instead of Shelfari, as I can't reliably export my rankings there.

Bojangles wrote:Amazon user reviews get the point and are much better.

Agreed.

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Bojangles wrote:I remember that you like Catcher in the Rye, and I do too.

You mean there are actual people who don't like this book?

Bojangles
0 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

They are legion. Go check out its Goodreads page. You'll quickly find a dozen one star reviews from people who used to like it in high school, but they've outgrown it because they've become SO emotionally mature since then. It seems that when anyone past the age of 18 likes the book, they actually deep down want to assassinate the President and just need to grow the fuck up.

bowfinger
0 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

or kill John Lennon, right?

I think I love all the lore, the manchurian candidate/MK Ultra stuff that surround this book as much the book itself, it's truly fascinating. And by the way, somehow I managed to watch Conspiracy Theory before I knew anything about the book, and naturally, I had thought the movie was a big hot mess. Now, I only think Gibson is a big hot mess.

Bojangles
0 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

How the hell did they get this shot?

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

i assumed it was a wire... you don't see the top of the house so something could be mounted up there. in any case the shot was SO GOOD IT GOT USED TWICE which is the most exciting part.