Recent movies that trumped older classics

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MikeH
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Recent movies that trumped older classics

Post by MikeH »

Nominations please for any films that are similar to older films but, IYHO, better.

My first nomination would be that Nightcrawler trumps Lumet's Network.

Network is a great film, but for me Nightcrawler just felt like it tackled similar issues in a more incisive and believable way. Ultimately I felt that the main idea behind Network was just a bit towards being an overblown melodrama, and I couldn't quite imagine it happening in real life. I think Nightcrawler is a perfect example of the modern breed of tv/cinema that acts like a marriage between drama and social realism, a la The Wire, Justified, Before Midnight, Philomena, The Immigrant, Borgen, A Most Wanted Man, etc.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Recent movies that trumped older classics

Post by ShogunRua »

MikeH wrote:Nominations please for any films that are similar to older films but, IYHO, better.

My first nomination would be that Nightcrawler trumps Lumet's Network.

HAHAHAHHAHAAHA.

MikeH wrote:Network is a great film, but for me Nightcrawler just felt like it tackled similar issues in a more incisive and believable way.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Best comedy thread in the history of this forum.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

oh boy.

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

The world would be a much better place if Network was closer to overblown melodrama than reality.

Ocelot
450 Ratings

Post by Ocelot »

I think a lot of the praise for Network is grossly inflated, but I also don't really see how it's close to Nightcrawler at all. The only real connection is morals in the news, but films so drastically differ in how they're presented and what, specifically, they're about.

I might think of a better answer for this thread later, but I think a lot of modern superhero movies are superior to the epic extravaganzas of the post-TV 50's and early 60's. When it comes to money being thrown at the screen, I'll take The Dark Knight over the Greatest Show on Earth. Two extreme examples, obviously, but I think it's generally the case.

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

edit: misread the title.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:The world would be a much better place if Network was closer to overblown melodrama than reality.

Indeed. Actually, the thread focus is reasonably interesting, but the initial example is so wildly absurd (even if you think Network is the worst film ever made, it bears only the slightest similarity to Nightcrawler), that I couldn't help but laugh.

Focus-

Movies, their internal philosophies, and target audiences have changed so much that I doubt modern movies can be directly compared to classics from decades ago. I'm cheating a bit here, but the only example I can think of is Wild Strawberries (1957) being a vaguely similar, superior version of Citizen Kane (1941), although they're both masterpieces.

MikeH
0 Ratings

Post by MikeH »

ShogunRua wrote:Actually, the thread focus is reasonably interesting, but the initial example is so wildly absurd (even if you think Network is the worst film ever made, it bears only the slightest similarity to Nightcrawler), that I couldn't help but laugh.

I don't think everybody would consider it wildly absurd to compare two excellent films about the morality of news broadcasting.

Could I also request, ShogunRua, that you try and adopt a more humble and respectful tone to people's forum posts?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

MikeH wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:Actually, the thread focus is reasonably interesting, but the initial example is so wildly absurd (even if you think Network is the worst film ever made, it bears only the slightest similarity to Nightcrawler), that I couldn't help but laugh.

I don't think everybody would consider it wildly absurd to compare two excellent films about the morality of news broadcasting.

Using a populist argument is very silly when everyone else who has posted in this topic (myself, CMonster, Ocelet) disagrees with your interpretation of Network being similar to Nightcrawler.

It also seems very primitive to state that Network is about the "morality of news broadcasting" nor do I see the connection between editorial news reporting/punditry and raw footage of accidents/conflict. You might as well compare Die Hard to The Godfather because hey, they're "two excellent films about crime".

ShogunRua wrote:Could I also request, ShogunRua, that you try and adopt a more humble and respectful tone to people's forum posts?

You can request anything you like, but it won't necessarily occur. For instance, I could request you make smarter posts that discuss the deeper elements of film instead of relying on fallacies and shallow over-generalization, but I doubt that will happen.

MikeH
0 Ratings

Post by MikeH »

ShogunRua wrote:You can request anything you like, but it won't necessarily occur. For instance, I could request you make smarter posts that discuss the deeper elements of film instead of relying on fallacies and shallow over-generalization, but I doubt that will happen.

I'll take that as a 'no'.

Thanks for your input. It's a lovely day here so I'm going for a swim, then I'm going to meet some close friends for lunch.

I hope you have a nice Sunday.