When do you rate films?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CarsonWid
106 Ratings
Your TCI: na

When do you rate films?

Post by CarsonWid »

A simple question for y'all?

How long after seeing a movie do you rate it on Criticker?

I started thinking about this after seeing Jurassic World a couple weeks ago. Immediately after stepping out of the theatre I rated it as a 76. Pretty high for that type of film but I was really caught up in the fun factor of a movie and I enjoyed the theatre experience. However, the longer removed I was from the theatre experience the less I liked it. As I thought about it more I realized there was very little in the way of actual character arcs and a lot left to be desired in regards to the script. So I ended decreasing my rating on three different occasions to account for how I left about it after time.

But then I also thought, am I now disregarding the fun factor of the movie that I actually enjoyed about it? Am I giving it a lower score because I haven't been exposed to it recently?

On the other side of this situation I have Inside Llewyn Davis. After seeing it I gave it a score of something like a 65. It was well shot but I was a bit disappointed. It dragged a bit and despite having good performance and great cinematography I wasn't in love with it.

However, as time passed I began to think about it and liked it more and more, but it also seems that it is because I am forgetting some of the dragging pace of the film that I didn't like, something which should still factor into it's score.

So....what do you guys do? How often do you re-adjust scores?

Gregzilla
182 Ratings

Re: When do you rate films?

Post by Gregzilla »

I give it about 12 hours. The next day kind of thing. Some shifting of the rating may occur during that time. If it continues to shift after I've "made it official", I leave the rating until/if I rewatch it.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Good question.

When I first signed up to Criticker, I would rate movies I had seen many years ago. And as I would continually remember older films I had watched, it would often be years since I saw them.

Amusingly, I have re-watched a number of these films since signing up. With the exception of children's films that I saw as a kid, most ratings don't change much even watching it 10, or 15 plus years later.

Nowadays? I rate a movie immediately after watching it. On very rare occasions, when a movie is really great and makes a huge impression on me, I will give it 24 hours. I rarely re-rate it after the fact, though.

It does happen, though. I think I first rated The Expendables a 59, T6, which has now dipped to a 47, T4. And Skyfall was originally a 70, T8 that has now dipped to a 61, T6, and which I'm considering lowering even further. My ratings very rarely go up, and even then, usually by one or two points when they're among my favorites of all time.

(I think my original rating for Ran was 87, T10, and is now 89, T10)

MovieMelee
0 Ratings

Post by MovieMelee »

I usually try to rank a movie as soon as I get home from seeing it (as my cellphone service sucks and I can't access the internet except in a wifi area). I have a grading system I developed that's very accurate, so my opinion generally won't change. Though I will open myself to change after I watch the movie again on DVD/Blu Ray/Digital (whichever I buy) but even then my opinion rarely changes.

One of the worst things people do is let the opinions of others sway them. I watched Ant-Man Friday and gave it a 98. Then I started reading posts and blogs by people disparaging the movie and I began to think that maybe they're right, maybe the movie wasn't that good. But I remember giving it a 98 and there was a reason for it. Then I got invited to see the movie again on Saturday, and after watching it again, the 98 was confirmed in my mind. I don't know why I let some idiots on the Internet sway me. They can dislike Ant-Man if they want, but I can also like Ant-Man if I want. It's my opinion on the matter. I don't care what anyone else says.

CarsonWid
106 Ratings

Post by CarsonWid »

MovieMelee wrote:I usually try to rank a movie as soon as I get home from seeing it (as my cellphone service sucks and I can't access the internet except in a wifi area). I have a grading system I developed that's very accurate, so my opinion generally won't change. Though I will open myself to change after I watch the movie again on DVD/Blu Ray/Digital (whichever I buy) but even then my opinion rarely changes.

One of the worst things people do is let the opinions of others sway them. I watched Ant-Man Friday and gave it a 98. Then I started reading posts and blogs by people disparaging the movie and I began to think that maybe they're right, maybe the movie wasn't that good. But I remember giving it a 98 and there was a reason for it. Then I got invited to see the movie again on Saturday, and after watching it again, the 98 was confirmed in my mind. I don't know why I let some idiots on the Internet sway me. They can dislike Ant-Man if they want, but I can also like Ant-Man if I want. It's my opinion on the matter. I don't care what anyone else says.

I have to try hard not to let other opinions sway me. I usually try to know what my rating is going to be before I open Criticker because I don't want the PSI to sway me at all.

martryn
148 Ratings

Post by martryn »

Typically it's months later. Unless I'm confident that the film has a solid place somewhere in my rankings, I'll wait until I've had time to let it stew around in my head, come up in conversation, and see what emotions I recall when I see trailers or DVD adverts for it. It's it's a more obscure film I'll wait even longer to see if it's something that I still think about after any period of time.

But I'm constantly tweaking my rankings a little here and there. I think the bulk of my films fall between scores of 60 and 90, and I'm always comparing films with identical scores to see if there is one that stands out as either being definitely better or worse than the rest.

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

immediately. we aren't assigning any sort of 'objective' rating to films, so i don't see any point in waiting around while my opinion becomes more 'accurate' or 'correct'.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Since I write mini reviews for everything, I rate immediately, but it's not uncommon that I do alter that score upon reflection. I rate movies I saw long ago as well, as place holders but hold off on mini reviews until re-watch.

satsujin
0 Ratings

Post by satsujin »

Immediately or as soon as I can after watching. I also have this herd mentality. I noticed I would pick a score but after reading reviews or even just looking at the probable score I would rate higher or lower differently. Now, before coming to the ratings page I pick a score and tell myself that's what I'll enter no matter what. I stick to that now.

I rate immediately because I think we should rate on whether we enjoyed the movie the or not. It's what matters in the end, not to pour over the details and personal opinions instead. Also, our experiences in life we might encounter some time after watching the movie might affect our mood and thus change our opinion of a past selection.

vishal8492
12 Ratings

Post by vishal8492 »

CarsonWid wrote:
MovieMelee wrote:I usually try to rank a movie as soon as I get home from seeing it (as my cellphone service sucks and I can't access the internet except in a wifi area). I have a grading system I developed that's very accurate, so my opinion generally won't change. Though I will open myself to change after I watch the movie again on DVD/Blu Ray/Digital (whichever I buy) but even then my opinion rarely changes.

I have to try hard not to let other opinions sway me. I usually try to know what my rating is going to be before I open Criticker because I don't want the PSI to sway me at all.

Haha , I like this one !! I've realized, my PSI is almost always giving me scores ; which I'd have reached after much deliberation.
It helps me think less , there's at most +- 2 tiers of difference for me.