How often do you rewatch films?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
SimonJones96
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How often do you rewatch films?

Post by SimonJones96 »

I find that there are a ton of great, great films that I could probably rewatch any day of the week, but at the end of the day I'm always inclined just to watch more. I'd say that I am most likely to only rewatch films when I have the urge to show it to friends. With that said, I will happily rewatch a film that I first watched before I started rating films, only because then I can add it to here. What about you guys?

ribcage
0 Ratings

Re: How often do you rewatch films?

Post by ribcage »

Used to be almost never until i decided to only watch movies id already seen for one month. It was pretty interesting and alot of fun. While i still don't rewatch at a tremendous rate that month renewed my appreciation for multiple viewings. Not at first after that but gradually i got to where i am now usually rewatching once or twice a week or so.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Never.
One film rewatched is another gem never seen.
You only have so much time in your life.

(Rare exception: if the film was really excellent and at the same time complicated enough to require a 2nd viewing to connect all the dots.)

Pickpocket
0 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I rewatch some movies at least once a year. I find myself watching clips I like on youtube a bunch as well. Been watching these lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBzYSA0jfOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmF_Phk6eIE

livelove wrote:Never.
One film rewatched is another gem never seen.
You only have so much time in your life.

(Rare exception: if the film was really excellent and at the same time complicated enough to require a 2nd viewing to connect all the dots.)

This will leave you pretty jaded I find. I've gone on streaks where I haven't seen anything decent in months and your only salvation is watching something you know is amazing

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Pickpocket wrote:I rewatch some movies at least once a year.

I make a night out of watching Event Horizon with a friend every September. After 5 years its basically another holiday.

Pickpocket wrote:That will leave you pretty jaded I find. I've gone on streaks where I haven't seen anything decent in months and your only salvation is watching something you know is amazing

Definitely part of what promoted my rewatch month. Just feeling ludicrously addicted to seeing another film but not finding i enjoyed them as i used to. Going back to old favorites helps me remember what i appreciate in them and helps me identify those things easier in new films.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I'm actually really surprised as how infrequently many of you seem to re-watch movies. I constantly re-watch movies I really like. I used to do it more often, back in the days before I subscribed to Netflix (the original DVD service, I mean). Still, though, I re-watch movies all the time. Pretty much any time I'm doing something that requires only half my attention, I have either a tv show I've already seen or a movie I've already seen on in the background. Cooking dinner? Maybe I'll put on Boogie Nights. Doing fantasy football research? That'd go well with Airplane.

But I also make time to sit down and watch movies I've already seen before, as well. There are lots of movies that get better upon a second viewing. For example, The Big Lebowski was just ok the first time I saw it. The second time I thought it was really good. By the third viewing it became one of my favorites. In fact, I'd say probably 60% of my tier 10 movies I appreciated more the second time than the first.

Even for movies that don't get better the second time around, if they're good enough, they're still worth watching more than once. Maybe it's because I have a shitty memory, but I certainly can't remember everything about a movie after just one viewing. And if I loved it, I'd like to have that experience again and also further solidify it in my memory. Not to mention making my girlfriend watch movies that she hasn't seen yet.

All that being said, I definitely watch comedies repeatedly much more than anything else. There are more than a handful of movies I've seen probably over 50 times, like the aforementioned Airplane. On the other hand, for more depressing or serious movies, I'm much less likely to watch a second time, even if I loved it. For example, Irreversible is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I've yet to watch it a second time after my first viewing I think in 2011ish.

Even though I have a desire to see all of the movies that I could potentially like or love and haven't yet gotten to, I can't give up watching my favorites again and again. And even if I could devote all my dedicated movie-watching time to things I hadn't yet seen, there's still plenty of situations to re-watch things when you can't devote your full attention.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mattorama12 wrote:But I also make time to sit down and watch movies I've already seen before, as well. There are lots of movies that get better upon a second viewing. For example, The Big Lebowski was just ok the first time I saw it. The second time I thought it was really good. By the third viewing it became one of my favorites. In fact, I'd say probably 60% of my tier 10 movies I appreciated more the second time than the first.

Funny you mention that. I think The Big Lebowski is good, but certainly not great. I have always cited its incredible rewatchability as the main reason for its enduring popularity and success. As opposed to better comedies like, say, Raising Arizona or Burn after Reading.

mattorama12 wrote: Not to mention making my girlfriend watch movies that she hasn't seen yet.

This is responsible for 90% of my rewatches these days.

However, I refuse to watch Once Upon a Time in the West with her on anything less than a huge screen with surround sound. Watching it on my (decent, but not overly large) computer monitor would be an insult.

Anyways, I very rarely rewatch movies. I have a phenomenal memory, even of movies I watched 20+ years ago, in childhood, and am far more interested in new experiences than revisiting old ones.

There are exceptions, though. I have probably seen the Jean Claude Van Damme movie The Quest (1996) well over 20 times, Bloodsport (1988) over 100 times, and Conan the Barbarian (1982) over 100 times. I have every bit of dialogue memorized for those last two, and have listened to the soundtracks for each way too many times.

There is something unusual about those three movies that makes them so enjoyable for me to rewatch, even among films I love.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I re-watch movies a lot, and when people ask we why, I ask them if they ever re-listen to music. Yeah movies are a lot longer, but if the draw is there, same principle, only better. Do people only listen to symphonies once, or only go to Shakespeare plays once?

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

i've been doing it a bit more lately, but still not much. and no, i don't relisten to music much either.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.