The movie with the highest number of rankings you've never seen

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mucow
129 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The movie with the highest number of rankings you've never seen

Post by mucow »

I was looking through the Film Database and ordered all movies by # Rankings. While I've seen most of the top movies (as I'm sure most of you have), there were some notable exceptions. At the top, I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'm sure it's a good movie based on everything I've heard, but it's not one I've ever sought out to watch.

What popular movies are missing from your rankings?

djross
10 Ratings

Re: The movie with the highest number of rankings you've never seen

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSchlansky
595 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

There are 4 films on the first page that I haven't ranked.
31. Oceans 11
38. Catch Me if you Can
43. Minority Report
60. Bruce Almighty

Catch Me if you can is the only one I particularly want to see. I don't really care about the others.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

djross wrote:Of the first page of most-ranked movies (so, the top 60), I've seen three quarters of them, so there are 15 I haven't seen. Here they are, with their position on the list indicated:

4. Forrest Gump
    5. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    7. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    8. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    14. Sin City
    19. Gladiator
    21. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    25. Shrek
    27. The Incredibles
    35. Jurassic Park
    48. 300
    51. The Matrix Revolutions
    52. Toy Story
    53. A Beautiful Mind
    60. Bruce Almighty

Of those I have seen, only two are in my top tier: The Godfather and The Big Lebowski. The film you mentioned, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, is for me in tier 9.

That's a surprising list of omissions, especially since at least half of those are actually really great movies. What has lead you to avoid watching them?

Anyways, for me, the films in the top 60 that I haven't seen are as followed:

40. The Big Lebowski (I've been putting off watching it, since I've never been a big fan of the Coens' sense of humour and I only really like their dramatic work, but The Big Lebowski has a huge pop cultural footprint, so I feel like it's a movie I'll end up watching eventually)
42. The Shining (seen parts of it on TV, but never in its entirety)
51. The Matrix Revolutions (avoided after being disappointed with The Matrix Reloaded)
56. The Prestige (I need opinions on this; is it a must-see movie?)
57. Independence Day (I think I probably may have watched this once as a kid, since my parents owned it on VHS, but if I did, it was far too long ago to remember. I couldn't even remember the plots of any Disney films, until I rewatched them recently. Anyways, Independence Day looks pretty bad and I have no interest in seeing it.)

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I'm surprised there weren't more for me, but the only one was I, Robot. It's on my queue, but not too near the top. I'm sure I'll see it one of these days, but the CGI just looks awful now.

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

djross wrote:It seems doubtful I'd find any of them to be great.

Can confirm. I had fun imagining your disliking to some of those films listed.

As for myself: despite the amount yellow, I have watched the entire first page of most ranked films. I did the same thing you did a couple months back, found out I only had 10 more films to rank to complete the first page and felt compelled to finish it. The Fifth Element is the most-ranked film I have not yet watched. Even though I consider Bruce Willis actions movies to be mediocre at best, I often find myself attracted to watching them anyway... which leads me to the question:

Don't you ever have the desire to to watch a shitty film?

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I have 3

The Shawshank Redemption
A Beautiful Mind
Bruce Almighty

A Beautiful Mind hasn't really been on my radar, though maybe one day as a fan of both Crowe and Howard.

Bruce Almighty I was surprised to see up here. Did it have/does it have an illustrious repeats on Cable run? Or was it really overall this popular to be on the first page? Anyway, no desire to see it.

And The Shawshank Redemption is on my radar as one that I feel I should certainly see one day, however as its plot is so ingrained into pop culture it feels so "familiar" that I don't ever choose to sit down and actually watch the thing when I want to watch a movie that's "new" to me.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ribcage wrote:And The Shawshank Redemption is on my radar as one that I feel I should certainly see one day, however as its plot is so ingrained into pop culture it feels so "familiar" that I don't ever choose to sit down and actually watch the thing when I want to watch a movie that's "new" to me.

I know that feeling. If it helps sway you, Shawshank is on Netflix (since it looks like you're in the US) right now, so it's easier than ever to watch it.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Dardan wrote:Don't you ever have the desire to to watch a shitty film?

Yes, sometimes. If I watch nothing but great films for a while I feel like I can lose perspective and start to hate films over very minor details, while losing sight of it's total achievement and overall artistry. Halfway through a Kurosawa marathon it feels good to throw in Michael Bay movie just so I don't forget how good the other stuff I'm watching actually is. Also, as an aspiring writer, I feel like I learn more from writing by reading and watching bad novels and movies, than I do from good ones.
Last edited by CosmicMonkey on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.