Zero or negative infinity

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
55 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Zero or negative infinity

Post by philamental »

My own reasons have already been stated for the most part but the way i'd try to explain it further is absolute zero for me would essentially be a blank screen with no sound for 90 mins. That would be the ultimate in achieving no score. The filmmakers would literally have done nothing so that would get a zero. Therefore, similar to what CosmicMonkey said, because most film achieve something, no matter how little, they get a score of some kind.

It's the same thing with not scoring a film 100. I can usually find even the slightest flaw with a film so I won't give it a perfect 100 score. For example, Se7en is my all time favourite film and I've ranked it '98', probably due to the fact that I have a long standing single annoyance with John Doe's masterpiece work in the film (something I've thought about discussing on here, but haven't done so yet). If I didn't have that, maybe I'd consider this perfect enough to warrant 100. (spoiler: I still probably wouldn't! :lol: )

But yes, I do like to leave a little room on either side of the spectrum in the hope/fear that an even better/worse film or two will arrive in the future.

philamental
55 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Rumplesink wrote:
bowfinger wrote:Rumple, did you think of this topic because of your Planet of Apes rating? :lol:

I did, actually. I noticed nobody else on that list gave it a 0 (although almost all of the ratings were tier 1) and it got me curious.

That was a fairly grim graphic alright in terms of scoring wasn't it! When I saw it I had to post it for the laugh. Everyone had seen the film but it was so bad nobody could remember it! :lol:

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Rumplesink wrote:I know what you're thinking though, 'If that's the case then what happens if I already rated a film a 0, then I happen to watch The Hottie And The Nottie?' Well then you have a problem (two actually, if you assume that having watched The Hottie And The Nottie is the first), because Criticker can't handle negative numbers, and even if it could where would it all end?

Date Movie

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Rumplesink wrote:
mattorama12 wrote:On the other side of the scale, I imagine that there are probably hundreds (thousands?) of movies in existence that I would actually rate worse than Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. So, I can't in good conscience give that a score of 0. But, having not seen them, I feel comfortable rating it a 1, which I suspect is the lowest score I'll ever actually give.

But...but...as you mention that means you'll probably never give a score of 0 because you'll always assume there are worse movies out there that you haven't seen. So really 1 is your lowest score! Also, it could be that Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus really is the worst movie you'll ever see. I'm with CMonster on this. If I were you I think I'd rate Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus a 0 until another movie comes along that you think is even worse - which may never happen - but if it does then you can make that movie a 0 and promote Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus to a 1 now that it's no longer the worst. :lol:

How did I venture into this topic without talking about what's actually the worst thing I've ever seen? The Star Wars Holiday Special. That actually was worse than Mega Shark, except for it had the animated section which was simply bad rather than atrocious. If you cut the animated section, I definitely would rank it 0.

dunbar
10 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

I believe I agree with the sentiment that a film existing gives it some merit, which can roughly translate to it deserving of some score.

I think I consciously worked this in to my ratings somewhat, as my scale of 0-100 is broken down even further to 10-20-30-40-50-60-70-75-80-all even numbers-90-every number-100. And I don't really consider 0 as being a part of that scale as I've only given one 0 rating and I feel that was probably more personal and that on reevaluation nothing really separates that film from all my 10 ratings (will I therefore be giving Sex and the City 2 a score of 10 any time soon... nawww 8-)).

On the other hand I think when it comes to film I'd rather quibble with myself over the merits of good films and where they sit for me, hence my ratings system, than the bad ones. I realise this is flawed and incredibly biased towards "good" films. Someone who enjoys film and adopts a more professional approach would undoubtedly never introduce such terrible scoring tendencies.

Mentaculus
105 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

If I ever rank a film a 100 - it is not necessarily that it is objectively the best film of all time (which is a fool's errand, anyway), but a 100 represents the very best of what I believe a film can be. A 0, conversely, is a film that represents the absolute worst of what I believe a film can possibly be.

And I've only ranked one film a 0. So I suppose I should be more indiscriminate with my negativity. :)

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I have no problems handing out 0's. With extreme prejudice. Jaws 3-D? Son of The Mask, and so on. The issue is, how do you truly rate shit? This shit was worse than that shit. So invariably I have movies with a 1, or 5 rating that I am sure are probably worse than a 0 rating I have doled out. I apologize for my past, present and future inconsistencies.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I give zeroes to movies I turn off because I'm so stubborn to complete any movie I start, no matter how painful, for a movie to be more terrible than I am stubborn means it is truly bottom of the barrel. My companion guideline to this is that if I turn it off before the halfway point I won't rate it at all, considering that the movie was considerate enough to raise enough flags early on to dissuade me. This could be tricky since I do enjoy putting myself through shitty movies, and there's so many flavors of shit you just never know when it's going to be really sour shit, but fortunately I only have 5 movies I've turned off and ranked 0 and the other 5 or so I ranked before developing my "system".

As for 100s those are basically my movies that I could enjoy watching at any given moment in my life. 90 and above represents extrem rewatchability, 100 represents constant rewatchability.

jal90
0 Ratings

Post by jal90 »

I don't have this problem because I use a simplified scale of ten elements (10-100). Each of these labels covers a relatively wide range of ratings, which means that I don't need to hold my 0s (10s in my case) in some special regard because there is some degree of variety in this label and it does not equal necessarily to absolute worst. Same for my 100s.

90sCoffee
21 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

There's a problem with this site's tiered system giving 10% equally to your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc tier. In my opinion, only around 5% of the movies you see should be tier 1 and only around 5% should be tier 10. Tier 10 to me is your 'favourite' movies and I don't think 1 in every 10 movies I see is going to be a favourite nor is 1 in every 10 going to be bad enough to be a tier 1.

They really need to re-work the tier percentages. Tier 6, 7, and 8 should be bigger at around 15% each because truthfully, most of the movies you watch fall in the 6/10 to 8/10 range. Tiers 1 and 10 should be the smallest followed by 2, 3, 4, and 9.