What are your most noteworthy average tiers for Criticker collections?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
57 Ratings
Your TCI: na

What are your most noteworthy average tiers for Criticker collections?

Post by dardan »

There's lots of interesting insights this newly added feature has given me, as it likely has for many of you, but with more data these can likely be expanded upon further. So, what ratings of yours do you consider to be noteworthy?

Noteworthy stuff:

1) The collection 'Female Directors' getting 6.02 from me, in addition to films passing the Bechdel Test averaging a mere 5.77, seems a bit low. Have I just uncovered myself to have been an unwitting misogynist, or are these scores relatively common?

2) 'Fuck my life' collection: 8.73. Seems about right.

3) At an average of 8,65, the Criterion collection is a lot better than I would have given credit for prior to knowing that score, as is the case for Roger Ebert's Great Movies collection, which I have given an 8.23.

Anyway, to uncover maximum trivia, such as what currently is the highest rated Criticker collection amongst the most starred collections, this would probably work best if we simply data-dump the ratings, like so:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Re: What are your most noteworthy average tiers for Criticker collections?

Post by paulofilmo »

sans poll collections (except the penultimate, which stands out to me), these caught my eye as best-ofs. Spoiler alert: Existential films is the winner.

Surreal (+) Spunkie Mar 14 192 26 7.58
Existential films (+) frederic_g54 Jun 08 102 52 8.31
Uncanny, Disturbingly Weird Films (+) paulofilmo Sep 21 2015 68 21 7.86
Fuck my life (+) kyle.loomis Jun 15 149 55 7.58
Humanity and the Natural World (+) paulofilmo May 03 251 109 7.71
Black and White Photography (+) JooJoo Sep 04 2014 124 47 8.04
Great color cinematography (+) Alex Watkins Oct 11 2014 73 38 7.82
Amos Vogel: Film as a Subversive Art (-) Edson Abas May 24 2015 287 48 7.56
Edward Copeland's Ray Memorial 100 (+) theficionado May 04 2009 100 42 8.4
Jazz (+) paulofilmo Jun 19 117 23 7.52

And new discoveries, ones I'll use for recommendations:

He Who Strays Discovers New Paths
Nihilism
The Vatican Film List
Abstruse
Japanese New Wave
Best of criticker: Fantasy

I feel like we're not as good at these sort of theme collections—ones for when you're in a certain mood. Mubi was useful for its user-generated, idiosyncratic listery.

anyway, ideas are forming thanks to the new feature!
Last edited by paulofilmo on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyvetti
182 Ratings

Post by kyvetti »

My 'Female directors' average is 5.6 (with 40 films), not so hot. Bechdel test collection however has 7.42 average from 71 films, which is quite good considering it's not a "best of" list, obviously I like women in front of camera, even if not necessarily behind...('boobs' has 6.14 average with 133 films, so it's better if the women talk too).

Of the most starred collection list, on the first page the only one boasting 8+ average with more than one film was 'Martin Scorsese’s Film School: The 85 Films You Need to See to Know Anything About Film', 8.35 with 23 films, obviously Scorsese knows something and I should check more of his recommendations.

On the next page 'World War II', 'The 100 Best Movies You've Never Seen - Richard Crouse' and 'Cyberpunk' all have 8+ average with ten films or more, and on the next one two avgcrtckr lists, 'Best film of top directors' and 'Best of criticker: Top 250'.

Later on, with the same criteria...some "best of IMDb/Criticker" type collections, 'Top 100 Spiritually Significant Films', 'Black and White Photography', 'Jonathan Rosenbaum's Alternative Top 100', '100 Films for a Century of animation shorts'...'Best Foreign Film Oscar Nominees', apparently nominees are better than winners. Oh, 'Ambiguously Gay/Lesbian Films'. And 'Twist endings' (I wonder if it is a good idea to actually look at that collection).

Fun tool, I'll have to explore more of this.

kyvetti
182 Ratings

Post by kyvetti »

To the other direction, what collections have average ratings less than 5 with ten or more films...

'Superheroes'
'Marvel'
'Vampire'
'Sequel'
'U.S. Box office over 150 million'
'Male Frontal Nudity'
'Tom & Jerry'
'It's a Peanuts movie list, Charlie Brown'
'Worst of criticker'
'Brothers'
'Extra scene after credits'
'Impersonation / False Identity'
'Nostalgia Critic Episodes'
'DC Comics'

There's a mashup.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

dardan wrote:1) The collection 'Female Directors' getting 6.02 from me, in addition to films passing the Bechdel Test averaging a mere 5.77, seems a bit low. Have I just uncovered myself to have been an unwitting misogynist, or are these scores relatively common?

not considering female directors to be universally genii is probably quite normal.

6.04 (104)
6.41 (83)

there's a private collection, 50 Essential Feminist Films. and if you were all, oh my gosh, these are all terrible.

and then there's lisa's films of interest to feminism "note: the films within are not necessarily profeminist."

i forgot to check the private collections.. on that note:

Fantastic and surreal
Non-Places

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

djross wrote:
    2016. 5.33 (91 movies to date)
    2015. 5.47 (164 movies)
    2014. 4.66 (216)
    2013. 5.08 (301)
    2012. 4.96 (237)
    2011. 4.97 (237)
    2010. 5.22 (330)

So, as you can see, the two most recent years have the highest averages, but they also have the fewest films, so I'm not sure I am really getting soft. Some of the factors that meant I watched fewer films may also have meant I watched fewer bad films.

It has also been my observation that collections and years with more ratings on average have lower scores, something I could confirm if I still had SPSS (data science software), time and cared more than I do now, but it seems to me you have indeed remained remarkably consistent in your judgement throughout the years.

paulofilmo wrote:
and then there's lisa's films of interest to feminism "note: the films within are not necessarily profeminist."

i forgot to check the private collections.. on that note:

Fantastic and surreal
Non-Places

Ah, Lisa's collection: 'films of interest to feminist' actually has a very high average, a 8.77, from me.

Dreamer
121 Ratings

Post by Dreamer »

Most collections with high average seem to be either top lists and similar or based on very few rankings, but here are a some interesting ones based on at least 10 rankings:

Black and White Photography JooJoo 9.27 (11): I like pretty pictures.
Abstruse dardan 8.92 (13): I guess I must be a bit pretentious?
Great color cinematography Alex Watkins 8.4 (10): Pretty pictures in color.
Positive Psychology Films FilmStar** 8.36 (11): Positive is good.
Fuck my life kyle.loomis 8.08 (13): So both the positive and the negative are covered.
Very Small Cast shalev 7.82 (11): More intimate that way.
Existential films frederic_g54 7.74 (31): I somehow feel that this should be even higher.
Japanese New Wave kangadoodoo 7.73 (11): Many movies in my watchlist from this one

and here are another two based on fewer rankings but interesting because of the particularly high averages:

Films that broaden your horizon dardan 9.6 (5): Clearly I should be further broadening my horizon.
Purposefully Slow Films rant1229 9.57 (7): I know I have seen some really boring slow films, but apparently they are not in this collection.

paulofilmo wrote:not considering female directors to be universally genii is probably quite normal.

Yes, given how the tier system works, and if you like male and female directors about equally I think that you should expect this collection to average somewhere close to 5.5 (because your total average tier for male + female directors will be close to that). For me it has an average of 6.03 (based on 30 rankings).

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

dardan wrote:Ah, Lisa's collection: 'films of interest to feminist' actually has a very high average, a 8.77, from me.

you can rest easy

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.