List of aggregate users / bots

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

List of aggregate users / bots

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Recently I've been noticing weird recommendations. For example, criticker thought I'd score a 99 to LEGO Jurassic World: The Indominus Escape. Why? I discovered it was due to users who are aggregate users. An aggregate user is one where the scores are pulled from a source like imdb, meta critic, or even criticker. But many times their scores seem almost random or based on weird factors, such as 3 aggregate users giving that Lego movie a 99. So I began ignoring these users in order to prevent them from affecting my recommendations.

Does anyone know of any other aggregate users?

The ones I know of are linked below:

10kfilms
Allocine
anidb-rt CHANGED (updated this user name from anidb to anidb-rt on 2023 June 11)
AniList
AVclub
average50
avgcrtckr
AvgMovielens
CritickerAvg
crititv
dvdverdict
EM-ED NEW (added 2023 June 11)
empiremag
ERogers
Film.com
filmaffinity
filmcricket
fresh
IGNMovies
imdb
IMDB Ratings NEW (added 2023 November 9)
IMDb-byvotes
IMDb_rating
imdb-ws
imdbna
IMDBTop250
imdbtv
IMDBv2
letterboxdvo
LTRBXD2 NEW (added 2023 July 17)
MCUser
meta critic
MetaCritic2
mubi
MUBIvotes
MyAnimeList
PluggedIN
R Ebert
R.ebert
r/truefilm
R_Ebert
Rebert
RedditAnime
REdotcom
rng
roger-ebert
Roger_Ebert
rogerebert
Ronin22
Rotten Users
RottenT
rottentomat
RT:TNG
RT_Critics
RTAudience
RTCritics
RTomatoes
rttntomatoes
RYM
RYM-byrates
slantmag
TheShiznit
theyshoot07
theyshoot08
theyshoot10
theyshoot11
theyshootpic
TMDB NEW (added 2024 January 8)
tomatometer
TSP250
tvcritic1
tvguide77
WhatTheFlick

Click below for the credits, a list of deleted users, and a list of recent updates:
Spoiler!
Thanks to all who contributed!:
  • 90sCoffee: RYM
    avgcrtckr: RYM-byrates
    crititv: crititv
    Deadmarsh: IMDb_rating, IMDBbbbb, IMDBv2
    kritikos: that the account IMDBbbbb has been deleted, plus other tips here and there
    movieboy: fresh, PluggedIN, rng
    PietHeijn: Ronin22
    quartier: filmcricket, imdbna, Ronin22, RottenT, RT_Critics, RTCritics, TheShiznit, WhatTheFlick
    ramynoodle: ERogers, MCUser, REdotcom
    Risselada: empiremag, theyshoot07, theyshoot08, theyshoot10, theyshoot11
    SnorlaxJones: rttntomatoes
    trippingly: mubi
    Victoriouz: IMDB Ratings, LTRBXD2, MyAnimeList, RedditAnime
Below is a list of users that used to be on the list, but the accounts have since been deleted: Recent updates to this list:
  • 2024 January 8: added TMDB;
    2023 November 9: added IMDB Ratings;
    2023 July 17: added LTRBXD2;
    2023 June 11: added EM-ED;
    2023 June 11: changed anidb to anidb-rt.
Last edited by BadCosmonaut on Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:00 am, edited 136 times in total.

SpeedlimiT
0 Ratings

Re: List of aggregate users / bots

Post by SpeedlimiT »

Thanks To Point that Issue. Some Times I Think So And Think About Some Scores Based On Not Related Things and Some Peoples Scores Happens All Together on a Special Date(look Like You Watch 50 Movies and then Decide to Vote Them in On Day). May Be Some New Users Like Me Do that Because The Base Source of Scores Exist in Sites Like IMDB.com and Want to share them in here but after a While Its will be on Normal Proceed. I Think Some Users Created By Site Admins to Increase Number of Rates.

ehk2
7 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

The point is the ability to make use of the data. Some of these accounts are very helpful if you really delve into it. After all, they are all aggregate averages that can indicate the different tastes in different locations. For instance, you can use the account avgcrtckr to assess the distribution on this website. You can sort out films to find movies that are popular and/or highly rated based on various criteria etc. It is a very convenient shortcut. If you don't want to use it or cannot appreciate the value of it, that's your point. But to assert that they disturb your calculations is really unfounded. I admit some of these accounts seems to distribute votes as if randomly, incorrectly (better word) -but you have the ability to distinguish them. Or maybe you are objecting by saying that you only want the ratings of real person accounts. Again your choice (but what is the difference between a one-person account and an aggregate one?).

I am happy with some of them. I don't think they are created by the web admins to increase ratings. There are thousands of accounts here, and the most such accounts you can identify may be 10-20 or 30?

avgcrtckr is the most useful account in this whole website. -I'm not related with it btw.

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

ehk2 wrote:The point is the ability to make use of the data.

I can make use of that data regardless of whether or not I'm ignoring their accounts. Ignoring the accounts only blocks them from affecting my PSI. Other than that, I can browse their ratings should I want to one day.

ehk2 wrote:If you don't want to use it or cannot appreciate the value of it, that's your point.

I don't need them to effect my PSI for me to value and/or utilize the information these users provide. I do see their value (apart from how they affect my PSI), but I can utilize that value even if those users are ignored. Why should I allow them to affect my PSI when I can block them from affecting my PSI while also utilizing their value should I decide to do so?

ehk2 wrote:But to assert that they disturb your calculations is really unfounded.

You are wrong. I gave an example above, and I've noticed other examples recently. For the Lego movie I linked, 3 of the 4 users who rated it were aggregate users. They rated it 99. So it's a PSI 99 for me now. To you, that may not qualify as disturbing my calculations, but to me it qualifies. Also, because those users are in my TCI, all their ratings like that will affect all my PSI. I don't want that.

ehk2 wrote:-but you have the ability to distinguish them.

If I don't ignore those 3 users then I look at my full PSI list, I'll see that Lego movie right at the top. It isn't a movie I want to see. It's only at the top of my list because of those 3 users. Knowing that, if I don't want to see it at the top of my PSI list every time I look at the list, then I have to either ignore the movie or hide it. I don't want to ignore a bunch of movies, and I don't want to have to hide a bunch of movies. The most practical solution is to ignore the users causing those PSI issues.

ehk2 wrote:Or maybe you are objecting by saying that you only want the ratings of real person accounts. Again your choice (but what is the difference between a one-person account and an aggregate one?).

If you look at the ratings of those 3 users, they are...questionable. I think the same is true for some of the others. I see no reason to let them influence my PSI when my PSI would be just fine if not better without them.

If the argument is "who cares if they affect your PSI?" then the answer is "I do." That's why I block them.

thehynes
0 Ratings

Post by thehynes »

cheers Bad Cosmonaut, I hadn't thought of this but my psi's are pretty much messed up at the top end with stuff I'd never want to watch and see a couple of those names appearing. Shall get tidying!

edit - think it was just tvcritic and tvguide that have been throwing me out a bit. Nobody else appears in my TCIs

ehk2
7 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

BadCosmonaut wrote: But many times their scores seem almost random or based on weird factors, such as 3 aggregate users giving that Lego movie a 99. So I began ignoring these users in order to prevent them from mucking up my recommendations

That's good. You rightly ignore a few misusers who throw away random ratings to the movies. As a second step you add all aggregate users into your ignore list (with the same logic). How do you equate the different two types then? on the one hand you have a few trolls, on the other hand you have useful accounts.

As you explain me, ignore does not amount to explore the account (so indeed useless except calculation). And you are probably valuing recommendations option in this website. So we are debating over nothing.

AFlickering
287 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

slantmag is actually a valued kump of mine as it's one of my favourite publications, i could do without the others though except if i occasionally want to check something. that said, only one of the users you listed is even in my top 500 TCIs, so they very rarely affect my PSIs anyway (and my PSIs are spot on an eerie amount of the time so i'd have no complaints if they did).

imdbtv
0 Ratings

Post by imdbtv »

The accounts imdbtv, tvguide77, tvcritic1, and average50 were created to get more people to rate tv series. :)

The ratings are taken directly from imdb for the most part.

Hopefully as more people rate these shows, PSIs for them will become more accurate.

> such as 3 aggregate users giving that Lego movie a 99

Not enough imdb rankings to know what to rate it. :?

Putting 99 temporarily so that people would rate them seemed like a good idea at the time? :oops:

Will instead ignore tv series without imdb rankings from now on.

PM me if you have any other problems, comments or feedback. ;)

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

SpeedlimiT wrote:I Think Some Users Created By Site Admins to Increase Number of Rates.

Nope. We don't maintain any sort of fake accounts or engage in inflating our number of rankings.

ehk2
7 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

imdbtv wrote:The accounts imdbtv, tvguide77, tvcritic1, and average50 were created to get more people to rate tv series. :)
)

Why do you rate Turkish movies with 1? If you are really honest about only putting TV ratings, do so.