Top five of the last ten years

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
djross
10 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Top five of the last ten years

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Re: Top five of the last ten years

Post by Stewball »

1. Her **
2. The Accountant**
3. Like Sunday, Like Rain
4. Inception
5. Detachment

** The first two are in the same place on my all time list as well, and in a virtual tie though they're very different. TA has the most perfectly crafted story, IMNTBHO, in spite the handicap of being something of an action movie--with the Pollock plot devise being a seminal first for film as far as I know. It's also very rewatchable, with my number of theater viewings coming close to setting an all time high for me for all modes of viewing a movie. Just call me Mr. OCD. Her has a couple of parts I don't really care for, but the theme is deeper.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillyShears
1938 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

4. Drive
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (I'm bending the no docs stipulation)
1. No Country for Old Men
5. The Brothers Solomon (lol)

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Happy-Go-Lucky
Two Lovers
The Skin I Live In
Spring Breakers
We Are the Best!

Arbitrarily ordered (and selected). Computer Chess is probably number one.

90sCoffee
21 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Inception
Frances Ha
The Dark Knight Rises
The Big Short
Nightcrawler

I should add that I haven't seen a bunch like Arrival, A Separation, Manchester By The Sea, Prisoners, or Certified Copy yet.

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

djross wrote:while there are no blockbusters, from a certain angle these can all be construed as, more or less, examples of "popular" cinema, three of them being, really, Hollywood movies. This is not to say that these five films are not arty, or that they do not have intellectual content (they all do), but that what matters is also, not only the fact that they have emotional power (for me), but that they are about something that seems to me significant and concrete.

The last two thirds of Moonlight and solid stretches in Himizu, perhaps not incidentally given their overlapping characterizations, fall in this category for me.

My list:
    1. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
    2. Knight of Cups
    3. Cemetery of Splendor
    4. To The Wonder
    5. A Separation
Malick would have scored even better had he not given the impression of veering into the following so much: https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sheeple.png

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

i've given a decent score to stellet licht

here's some that i think about on the reg!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

djross wrote:Two of those I know nothing about.

3 & 5?

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

paulofilmo wrote:i've given a decent score to stellet licht

here's some that i think about on the reg!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Where'd that poster for Melancholia come from? For me the movie was nothing like that, and in fact, any feeling of melancholy it might have inspired would have been like a ray of sunshine, and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything--unless it was something that would have given me an even more profound sense of dystopian desolation. It did live up to it's tagline though, "It will change everything". Duh! Or, as I appended to my Criticker rating of "0":
The title should be Dystopia, which is all it is, from beginning to end, dehumanizing, hopeless, depressing, fearful, and pointless. It's anti-art. Whatever it did technically well only magnified it's pointlessness. It's only positive was you could walk out of the theater to the good and evil of normality at the end.

Sorry, there are some movies for which I have a hair trigger. That and An Inconvenient Truth are two at the bottom of that pile for me.
Last edited by Stewball on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.