Films where it matters which version you see

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
TheDenizen
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Films where it matters which version you see

Post by TheDenizen »

The X-Rated version of Robocop is amazing. It's in my 99th percentile of scores on Criticker and I consider it to be the cornerstone of the holy trifecta of ultimate 80's action movies (the other two of course being Predator and The Terminator).

The R-Rated cut of Robocop (where you don't get to see Murphy literally get blasted to pieces by shotguns, or Clarence Boddicker with gore fountaining out of his throat, or chunks of toxic-waste-covered Emil getting splattered all over a windshield, among other tasty treats) is frankly just "ok".

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:30 am
The X-Rated version of Robocop is amazing. It's in my 99th percentile of scores on Criticker and I consider it to be the cornerstone of the holy trifecta of ultimate 80's action movies (the other two of course being Predator and The Terminator).

The R-Rated cut of Robocop (where you don't get to see Murphy literally get blasted to pieces by shotguns, or Clarence Boddicker with gore fountaining out of his throat, or chunks of toxic-waste-covered Emil getting splattered all over a windshield, among other tasty treats) is frankly just "ok".
Thanks for the heads-up, man. Hope you've been well since we last spoke.

wokelstein
184 Ratings

Post by wokelstein »

It has never happened where I changed my opinion on a movie based on seeing a different cut. For me, either it's there or it's not and movies are more about mood then plot so a different cut can change the presentation for better for worse, but can't substantially alter the entire thing.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA was a famous example, but I have never seen the short cut and as far as I know it's actually been lost to time.

The theatrical cuts of TERMINATOR 2, COMMANDO (?) and PRETTY WOMAN (??) are definitely, almost objectively, superior to the director's cuts.

I always loved TREE OF LIFE and it was one of my favorite films of all time, but it did not become MY NUMBER ONE favorite of all-time until I saw the extended cut. Still would recommend people see the theatrical cut first.

Prefer the Final Cut of BLADE RUNNER. The narration in the theatrical cut isn't uninteresting.

Still don't know about the extended cuts of APOCALYPSE NOW.

Definitely see the 1998 version of TOUCH OF EVIL instead of the other two.