On what basis do you rate films ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
LEAVES
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: On what basis do you rate films ?

Post by LEAVES »

paulofilmo wrote:that sounds fucking grim mate. me parting-out a film like tht is usually a bad sign

lately i've wanted something instead of genres - like tones or moods. watching lost in translation the other day, has given an appetite for nocturnal opium den films. i guess collections could do it, but it's so much clicking. sometimes it's 2am, i can't sleep it's hot and i just want to melt, unthinking.

LEAVES wrote:I can certainly empathize with the principle, although I might make some better recommendations.

? sorry, is this you providing someone with a better recommendation after they've told you they dislike heavy content?
it being 1:30 in the morning prolly isn't aiding my struggle
Yeah, a bit of a joke: "I don't like heavy content; the best film ever is Transformers 4!" "I can understand that feeling; after you watch Transformers 4 for the 14th time, you should watch Kung Fu Hustle just to mix it up a bit..."

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

gotcha! thx. enjoyed your comment, wanted to make sure i'd grokked the whole punnet.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

paulofilmo wrote:that sounds fucking grim mate. me parting-out a film like tht is usually a bad sign

lately i've wanted something instead of genres - like tones or moods. watching lost in translation the other day, has given an appetite for nocturnal opium den films. i guess collections could do it, but it's so much clicking. sometimes it's 2am, i can't sleep it's hot and i just want to melt, unthinking.

Yeah, it's a little unfeeling, I just wondered if it would be easier for people who struggle to rate from the gut? Hmm, moods or tones could be interesting. Maybe they could add tags and users could toss, "Surreal", or "Absurd". Of course, the tag is only as good as the person placing it. I could tag "fart" on Transformers 4.

LEAVES
0 Ratings

Post by LEAVES »

paulofilmo wrote:lately i've wanted something instead of genres - like tones or moods. watching lost in translation the other day, has given an appetite for nocturnal opium den films. i guess collections could do it, but it's so much clicking. sometimes it's 2am, i can't sleep it's hot and i just want to melt, unthinking.
Yeah, it's a bit silly comparing Monty Python and the Holy Grail to Mother and Son. I tend to group things into similar tones or moods, the more oddly specific the better!

Aggressively Surreal
Temporally Adrift
Shamelessly Absurd
etc.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

yes. things are becoming more binary*. i know which films i will probably like, it's more a case of which kind of film i'm in the mood for, *then a thumbs up/down approach if it satisfies that mood or not.

mubi lists were good for this. shit like this. i was hoping letterboxd ran with the mantle, but it's a quagmire of best of 2003, films that make me emotional because i have feelings, etc.

LEAVES
0 Ratings

Post by LEAVES »

paulofilmo wrote:yes. things are becoming more binary*. i know which films i will probably like, it's more a case of which kind of film i'm in the mood for, *then a thumbs up/down approach if it satisfies that mood or not.

mubi lists were good for this. shit like this. i was hoping letterboxd ran with the mantle, but it's a quagmire of best of 2003, films that make me emotional because i have feelings, etc.
Yeah, I have run the black hole of letterboxd lists, and it's not good. That site has a far less intellectual basis, and therefore has a lot less well-thought-out lists. In fact, almost all less well-thought-out lists. That site is like this site, less any personality.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

seeeee
Last edited by iconogassed on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirStuckey
45 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

Number rating is purely how much I like it.

If I think it's well made but I didn't like it, or liked it despite it having numerous negative qualities I mention those in the mini-review.

90sCoffee
21 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

I don't think I could use a catch-all criteria since every movie is different otherwise you end up sounding stupid by saying things like "Dunkirk lacked character development"....no shit it's a war action-thriller.

So yeah basic combo of how much I liked them, their impact, sometimes uniqueness, etc. Basically a gut feeling and comparing them to other rankings occasionally.

andr
0 Ratings

Post by andr »

I rate a film on the basis of how much I want to see films like this in the future. This may depend of how much I enjoyed the film, how much I learned from it or for any other reason. I rate them regardless of how well they are made. Because the whole purpose of ratings is to get recommendations for me which new films to watch, not to find out which films are the best made.

But of course if someone has another purpose of rating, they should rate according to their purpose.