Good TV serials which got pulled too early

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
iconogassed
29 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Good TV serials which got pulled too early

Post by iconogassed »

I would trade Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for more Bunheads in an instant, and all post-S3 Arrested Development for more Running Wilde

Hot Streets got cancelled this year after two seasons but it's the funniest show Adult Swim's ever had not involving Eric Andre

I mentioned Profit on the last page a couple years ago, and I'm mentioning it on this one now

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

hairyouchie wrote:Hot Streets
Hrm, apparently I've started writing of comparative quality more and more in terms of "trading" one property for another

This is an unfortunate development

RipeMelon
Ratings

Post by RipeMelon »

V and Colony are one of my favourite shows and they ended exactly on the spot when it started to get really interesting. I love anything alien related and they had it all. I hope they decide to continue at some point because it had such a rich back story and so much basis to write more good stuff.

Jerky
125 Ratings

Post by Jerky »

CosmicMonkey is right. Freaks and Geeks is the correct answer here.

I'll also take Undeclared for 200 Alex. Another short lived, 1 season show from Judd Apatow, starring Jay Baruchel, Charlie Hunnam and Seth Rogen.

Speaking of Jay Baruchel, he starred in another great short lived show named Man Seeking Woman, alongside Eric Andre, only lasting 3 seasons.

The Life and Times of Tim is another criminally under watched show. Very crude animation but hilarious content.

You can also throw in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret in here.

And if we want to go old school, and very obscure, I'll add Wild Oats to the list. A show from 1994 that starred Paul Rudd that only aired 4 episodes before being cancelled. I remember liking this immensely and being very disappointed when it didn't air again after week four. Good luck tracking these episodes down.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

The horror anthology series Night Visions (2001) only got 13 episodes (26 segments total), but there are surprisingly few turkeys, and some are among the darkest and weirdest teevee of the era. Highlights:

Jack Palance as a farmer whose arms get cut off in an accident when a neighbour boy sneaks onto his property ("Bitter Harvest", ep 8). I started playing it back in my head and when I remembered the ending I got all heebie-jeebied like almost nothing heebie-jeebies me anymore. So much so I'm using "heebie jeebies" wrong.

In "After Life ", Randy Quaid plays a man who is resurrected at his own funeral. Or rather, his own pre-cremation wake complete with casket (when you really, really want that out-of-the-casket shot but gotta write around the embalming...), only to fall into despair when he realizes human life can't compare with his brief experience of the glories of heaven. So he makes plans to return, with some company. Quaid is great, especially considering the bizarre tone. Plays even better today as a rejoinder to all that "heaven tourism" crap.

But the prize probably goes to Malcolm McDowell and Miguel Ferrer in "Patterns", which takes the premise of one of the better '80s Twilight Zone episodes and actually does something new with it, and with a great, sick sense of humour. I can honestly say I've never seen anything on TV quite like the final stretch of this (especially the other episode).